‘Alister Brae’ – c1904 Single Storey Landmark Residence
[Previous page: Venice, Randwick Heritage Next page: St Peters SA Heritage]
Magnificent in its proportions and style, this architectural landmark, an early Queen Anne Federation, is a single storey masterpiece set on approx 2,032 sq m. at 24 King Edward Street Pymble NSW 2073
- The first owners of ‘Alistair Brae’, Samuel and Annie Head, bought the land in 1904 and built a house typical of the Queen Anne Federation style, naming it to commemorate Annie’s maiden name, McAlistair. Nothing is known of the architect because all plans were lost in Ku-ring-gai Council fire.
- ‘Alister Brae’ has sandstone foundations, garden walls and paving.
- ‘Alistair Brae’ shows a strong Scottish influence in the interior joinery and decorative glass, and in the well-crafted timber on the wide return verandah. a picturesque turret above the corner bay brings an added dimension to the landmark slate roof of this gracious Queen Anne style house.
- The property was open for inspection by members of the National Trust as part of the Pymble day on Tuesday the 9th March 2010 with several hundred members attending.
- Listed Heritage item within the Ku-ring-gai Heritage Conservation Area – Urban Conservation Area
- Sold in 2011 for $3,300,000.
|24 King Edward Street Pymble NSW 2073|
- Fitted snugly into the hillside below Church Street, Alister Brae, c1904, shows a strong Scottish influence in the interior joinery and decorative glass, and in the well-crafted timber of the wide return verandah.
- A picturesque turret above the corner bay brings an added dimension to the landmark slate roof.
- This remarkable C1904 residence has a wealth of fine features retaining its historical integrity. With advice from heritage expert Alia Porter the owners have restored the interior decoration to its original style.
- Grand entrance hall showcasing a spectacular stained glass domed ceiling and eight doorways all featuring intricate carved frames
- Formal lounge and dramatic, timber paneled formal dining room both feature ornate original fireplaces and open via French doors onto the return verandah
- 5 bedrooms, 2 with fireplaces and 3 bathrooms
- Master Bedroom reflects the shape of the turret above, there is a large luxurious en-suite/dressing room and French doors that open to a return verandah
- Spacious, light filled kitchen adjoining a casual dining area
- Generous family room, a North facing sandstone flagged terrace, private gardens
- Huge family room, which was once the ballroom, featuring a charming original Wunderlich pressed metal ceiling and ornate gas fireplace
- Beautiful, established gardens of approx 2032 square metres surrounding the home
- In ground swimming pool and a full sandstone built double garage
- Remarkable federation features throughout, including an expansive tallow wood decked return verandah with ornate timber work, ornately decorated 13ft ceilings, Californian redwood timber detailing, 5 period fireplaces, stained glass windows & original NZ kauri timber floors