Hazeldean (1898) 14 Burns Road Wahroonga NSW
[Previous Page: Illowra, Bomaderry … Next page: Queenslander, Hawthorne ]
- See also post Wahroonga NSW Heritage
Hazeldean’ c1898 is a landmark family residence
- “Wahroonga was desirable then for its clean air, its open space and the promise of a new garden suburb. Initially the railway came south from Hornsby to St Leonards. Large lot sizes were normal and many imposing dwellings designed by prominent architects were built in the early years.
- In 2009 these same large lots deﬁne the character of Wahroonga. The properties are
- “The Briars” in Woonona Avenue, “Hazeldean” and “Coolabah” both in Burns Road, Wahroonga and all are in Urban Conservation Areas identiﬁed by the National Trust in 1995-1996, anticipating the urban consolidation of Sydney.” – National Trust
This house, a heritage item in a National Trust Urban Conservation Area, is an award-winning project, having won the 2002 Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council Heritage Awards: Best Restoration in the over $300,000 Category.
- In 1898 the builder and developer George Boyne commissioned architect Varney Parkes to design a guest house on the site.
An article in the Sydney Mail on 21 December 1904 described the grounds of “Hazeldean” as being “tastefully laid out in lawns, flower gardens and shrubbery, lawn tennis and croquet courts”.
- The building had 30 rooms and “out offices” which, by 1904 had apparently proved inadequate as the then manager was completing the erection of a detached suite of four rooms in brick.
- The photographs accompanying the 1904 article show that the building was roofed in split timber shingles and that the verandah on the south-east side of the house was open with full-height verandah posts and that the tennis court was located to the east of the house.
- In 1926 “Hazeldean” was acquired by Ernest Robert Williams, who then converted the house and outbuildings into nine flats.
- A recent project involved the conversion of the building from a series of separate flats to form one family residence.
‘Hazeldean’ c1898, landmark family residence
Presenting unparalleled grandeur and prominence, ‘Hazeldean’ c1898 is an expansive Queen Anne style family residence showcasing an award winning heritage restoration, championship tennis court and heated pool majestically poised over 3,422sqm of finely landscaped gardens.
- Originally a country guesthouse designed by Varney Parkes
- Distinguished formal lounge and dining rooms and grand hall
- High ornate ceilings, original c1890s embossed wallpaper
- Designer Scullery and Holtz kitchen with gas appliances
- Expansive deck overlooks championship sized tennis court
- In-ground heated pool, idyllic park-like garden surrounds
- Eight bedrooms, some adjoining retreats; six bathrooms
- Two self-contained one bedroom apartments in separate wing
- Four car accommodation, secure gate entry, integrated audio
- Walk to the station, village shops, Knox and Abbotsleigh