Illowra,125 Brinawarr Street, BOMADERRY, NSW 2541
- See also post Architect Howard Joseland
|GRAND: The facade of Illowra, tucked away in Brinawarr Street, Bomaderry.|
Hidden Edwardian gem up for sale
By ADAM WRIGHT, http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/ Oct. 14, 2014, 5:19 p.m.
ONE of Bomaderry’s most historic homes is set to change hands after being put on the market.
- The ListingSold $935,000 in Mar 2007; Sold: $776,000 on 14/05/2003
- Illowra was built in Bomaderry 108 years ago.
1906 – Illowra, 472 Princes Highway Bomaderry NSW,
- Built in 1906 for Mark F Morton. member for Willondilly in the NSW legislative assembly 1901 till 1938
- “Designed by the renowned architect Howard Joseland, this substantial Edwardian residence was built in 1906 for Mr M.F. Morton, a member of the Legislative Assembly who represented Shoalhaven for some 38 years.
- The property remained in the hands of various Morton family members until it was purchased by the current owner 10 years ago. During the past decade Illowra has been faithfully restored and extended and the extensive grounds have been carefully tended.”
|Illowra under construction.|
The six-bedroom, four-bathroom home with swimming pool and tennis court is set on a 5122m2 landscaped block.
- In the 1990s it was restored with meticulous attention to detail, enhancing the elegance of the Edwardian mansion.
- The property has been admired by locals and visitors but for the past seven years it was treasured by owners Robyn McKeown and John Hughes from Sydney.
- “We were looking for a place to retire to and we wanted to retire in Nowra. We both used to holiday there. Nowra is God’s little slice of heaven,” Ms McKeown said.
- She said she and her husband took one look through the property and fell in love with the place.
- “Illowra is fantastic, it’s got charm, and has a nice feel about it.
“The Morton family looked after it for many years. They sold it in the 1980s and it was restored by the next owner, Dr Andrew Moss.
- “We spent a lot of money doing it up too, to bring it to a standard we wanted it to be.
- “We never had a tradie turn up who didn’t want to show his family and friends through the place,” she said.
- The property has become a successful holiday rental that has been booked out every weekend for four years. Among those bookings have been high-profile and famous guests spending quiet weekends away.
- “We took some time there before we started renting it. It was wonderful.”
- Ms McKeown said sitting in the conservatory any time of the year was her favourite part of the property.
- “No matter which way you turn something’s in flower,” she said.
The couple felt owning Illowra was different to owning a modern home because of the history attached to the property.
- “We always felt that we should honour that beautiful house because it is an important part of the region’s history. The Morton family looked after it so well, we just wanted to continue and make sure it was respected.
- “It has been so successfully rented because there’s just no place where a family of 24 or more can enjoy time together and still be in a multi-million dollar home.”
- Illowra is located at 125 Brinawarr Street, Bomaderry. It is on the market with an asking price of $1.4 million.
Long regarded as one of the Shoalhaven’s finest historic residences “Illowra” was designed by Howard Joseland and built in 1906 for the late MF Morton, MLA. Beginning in late 1990’s & completed recently, a restoration and extension program began and with meticulous attention to detail further enhancing the grace and elegance of this Edwardian masterpiece.
- It occupies a 5122m2 parcel of land just minutes from Nowra’s CBD and 17kms to Berry with any of a number of beaches close by. A home to be admired & treasured
The six bedroom homestead has an amazing amount of living space. The formal lounge and grand dining room both have open fireplaces while there is also a family room, library, two sunrooms, informal meals area and the glass conservatory. Several of these spaces are set up as bedrooms allowing the house to sleep up to 20 guests at a time.
There are four bathrooms in the home with two located on each level and two being ensuites.
This masterpiece features include 14ft ceilings downstairs, huge country style kitchen, fully ducted reverse cycle air conditioning.
For extra accommodation there is a self-contained flat above the oversized triple garage (with storage room & cellar) which provides another two possible bedrooms, kitchenette and bathroom.
A property with a world of possibilities
The 12.5m gas heated pool and spa can be utilised all year round. This is of great convenience after playing a game of tennis on the full size court. The beautiful gardens, with many trees, hedges and flowering shrubs over 100 years old, are well supported with a watering system throughout the property. And of course Illowra property boasts several courtyards and barbecue areas.
In owning Illowra you could have either a very successful holiday rental business proposition or one of the Elite Homesteads on the South Coast. The gross income for 2013-14 was just under $200,000. At the asking price this represents a gross return of approx 14%.
The property is being sold as a going concern as the owners want to honour their current bookings which are up to June 2015.