Frank Kenneth Milne (1885–1980)
|F. Kenneth Milne [Image source: UniSA Architecture Museum]
[Previous post Architect Henry Budden…Next post:Federation Revival ]
F. Kenneth Milne (18/07/1885–3/10/1980) was one of South Australia’s most well-known, prolific and popular early- to mid-twentieth century architects. After designing in Federation Arts and Craft and Bungalow styles, he later resisted modernism and remained a devotee of the Georgian style.
He began his architectural career around 1900 when he was articled to Alfred Wells. He then worked as a draftsman for Wells until 1906 when, against Wells’ advice, he moved to Sydney to seek architectural experience, working as a draftsman for Robertson & Marks.
|Hampshire Hotel located at 110 Grote Street Adelaide SA, showing Arts and Craft influence with Art Nouveau inspired verandah styling
When Milne returned to Adelaide in April 1909 and established his own practice, two of his first commissions influenced his early career.
|Georgian styling for the Building for the South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd. The building is architecturally significant as a design of prominent Adelaide architect F Kenneth Milne. The building is an unusual rendering of the Georgian idiom with strictly disciplined fenestration and crisply detailed dressings in what appears to be artificial stone.
The Hampshire Hotel 110-112 Grote St (1910) led the South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd to commission hotels in both metropolitan and rural areas, and the Adelaide Oval Scoreboard Victor Richardson Rd (1911) was so revered that the South Australian Cricket Association became a longstanding client. Over time, Milne established a reputation for domestic architecture and he designed many large residences for wealthy members of Adelaide’s establishment.
He designed many significant Adelaide buildings including a building for the South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd. This building currently houses the UniSA Law School.
F. Kenneth Milne
Frank Kenneth Milne (1885-1980), architect, was born on 18 July 1885 at Tusmore, South Australia, seventh of eight children of Adelaide-born parents John Milne, land agent, and his wife Lucy Edith, née MacGeorge. Sir William Milne was his grandfather. Educated privately, and at Glenelg and North Adelaide state schools, Kenneth was introduced to drawing by Miss Mary Overbury at Mrs Kingston’s school, New Glenelg. A bachelor uncle, William Milne, paid for his secondary education and provided the £350 necessary to have him articled (1903-06) to the Adelaide architect William Alfred Wells. He came under the tutelage of Stuart Clark, the firm’s chief draftsman. In 1906 he joined G. B. Robertson & T. J. Marks in Sydney as an architectural draftsman; he claimed that he learned more there than he might have ‘in thirty years’ in Adelaide.
- Frank Kenneth Milne was born on 18 July 1885 at Tusmore House, Tusmore. He was one of eight children born to John Milne and Lucy Edith Macgeorge. His grandfather was the wine and spirit merchant Sir William Milne who was a pioneer South Australian.
- Milne married Hazel Muir Fotheringham on the 12 March 1913 at Chalmers Church, Adelaide. Their only son, Kenneth Lancelot (Lance) Milne, was born on the 14 August 1915 (SLSA Family History Database). He later became an accountant. Milne was a forthright character and when he died on 3 October 1980, ‘at the age of 96, he was a popular doyen of South Australian architects and still a devotee of the Georgian style’ (Page 1986: 129).
- Milne lived a life of privilege, thanks to the generosity of his relatives who not only cared for him at various times throughout his life but also paid for his early education and his articles of apprenticeship as an architect. Milne attended Glenelg Public School for his primary education and North Adelaide Public School for his secondary schooling. He also received private finishing tuition. Milne remembered that as a primary school student, ‘I always drawing houses on my school books, even at that age, so it seemed to me that there was nothing I could possibly do in the world but architecture’ (Interview with Milne 12 May 1979: 3).
|Toms House, 333 Portrush Road, Toorak Gardens, an Arts and Craft Bungalow
Returning home ‘full of ideas’ in April 1909, Milne set up a practice in Grenfell Street. His designs became increasingly eclectic, using idioms as diverse as Art Nouveau, beaux-arts classicism, bungalow, Art Deco, Gothic, and Italian renaissance. He prepared designs for banks, hotels, churches, houses, woolstores, swimming-pools and picture-theatres. Among his early commissions were the Hampshire Hotel (1910), Grote Street, and the South Australian Cricket Association scoreboard (1911), Adelaide Oval.
|South Australian Cricket Association scoreboard (1911), Adelaide Oval
|Adelaide Oval Building
|House of Mrs. Toms of Toorak Gardens SA
|Milne Residence South Tce Kensington Gardens
“Milne has always paid special attention, to modern styles in interiors as well as exteriors, and has introduced all the latest arrangements that conduce to the easy working of a home. Splendid instances of thie are seen in the residences of:
- Mrs. Toms of Toorak (Gardens):
- the late Mrs. Lee, of Thorngate;
- and Mr. Dudley C. Turner, of StanIey Street, North Adelaide.
(see Residential selection below)
|Elevations and plans for the Turner house, 260 Stanley Street, North Adelaide
- “These premises, like all of his dwellings, are distinctly ornate in the front, but exactly the same thorough finish marks the rear portions, where the internal arrangements are perfect. Spacious cupboards really lend an unfurnished kitchen an appearance of completeness seldom achieved under or dinary circumstances. No detafl is too minute and nothing is too large for Mr. Milne’s talents, and the care bestowed on every plan prepared is worthy of emulation.”
- “Architect to the South Australian Cricket Association and the South Australian Brewing Company. Sir. F. Kenneth Milne of Grenfell Buildings, Grenfell street, one of the youngest practitioners, already enjoys the highest reputation in his profession.
A native of Tusmore, near Adelaide, he will this month enter upon his seventh year in business, and despite tbe fact that he has been following his calling for such a short period, examples of his distinguished designs are to be seen and admired in most of the leading suburbs around Adelaide”
- “This young South Australian served his articles with Mr. Alfred Wells, and afterwards proceeded to Sydney where he entered the office of Messrs. Robertson & Marks, one of the leading firms of architects in the capital of New South Wales, and who were responsible for the Commercial Travellers Club. Challis House, the grandstands on Randwick Race course, and many other extensive biuldings. The harbour city offered excellent openings for study, as the rugged nature of the country permits the introduction of greater variety to the conceptions of designers. There is illimitable scope, and the facilities available encou rage ambitious schemes. Adelaide, on the contrary, is materially handicapped on ac count of its comparative flatness.”
- “The construction of many large warehouses was also watched by Mr. Milne during his sojourn in Sydney, and when he returned to Adelaide he was equipped with extensive practical experience, ‘a developed imagination, and an unbounded respect for up-to- date-ideas“.
- Milne began his architectural career when he was articled to the well-known Adelaide architect Alfred Wells from around 1900. One of Milne’s uncles paid Wells £350 for a three year apprenticeship and after 18 months Milne began to receive a wage of £1 per week (Interview with Milne undated: 11-12). Milne went on to work as a draftsman for Wells until 1906. Against the advice of Wells, Milne left Adelaide and sought architectural experience in Sydney. He worked as a draftsman for the leading firm Robertson & Marks.
- In April 1909 Milne returned to Adelaide and established his own practice in Grenfell Street. It took time for him to build his practice though and he reminisced that he ‘often stood at the window and ‘saw friends passing and knew they were going to build, but they wouldn’t come to me so that was most disappointing’’ (Page 1986: 130).
- One of Milne’s earliest commissions was the Hampshire Hotel in Grote Street (1910), followed by his much revered Adelaide Oval Scoreboard (1911). In fact the South Australian Cricket Association became one of his longstanding clients. Another client was the South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd. Much of Milne’s early work comprised hotels in both metropolitan and rural areas.
- Over time, he established a reputation for his domestic work and designed many large residences for wealthy members of Adelaide’s establishment; his family’s connections proving invaluable. However Milne also undertook charitable work. At the outbreak of World War One he worked as an honorary architect for the Red Cross (S.A. Division) and this role continued into the post-war years.
|Hampshire Hotel located at 110 Grote Street Adelaide SA, showing Arts and Craft influence with Art Nouveau inspired verandah styling
|Adelaide Oval Scoreboard showing Federation style
At Chalmers Church, North Terrace, on 12 March 1913 Milne had married Hazel Muir Fotheringham (d.1968) with Presbyterian forms. One year earlier he had contracted with the South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd to supervise construction on its properties. This work constituted a large part of his operations until 1920, and he was retained by the company until 1946. As business expanded, he was joined in partnership by J. R. S. Evans (1920) and C. A. Russell (by 1929). During the 1920s many of the firm’s principal commercial buildings were commissioned, including the Edments building, Rundle Street, and Lister House, North Terrace. Early in 1930 the partnership of F. Kenneth Milne, Evans & Russell was dissolved.
- Earlier in 1912 Milne took on his first articled pupil, John Richard Schomburgk Evans. Evans completed his articles in 1915 but soon after enlisted in World War One. After the war he returned to Adelaide and became Milne’s first partner in 1920 and the practice became known as F. Kenneth Milne and Evans. Charles Alexander Russell was Milne’s second articled pupil and like Evans he went on to become a partner in 1925.
- However the partnership was terminated and from 1931 Milne operated as a sole practitioner until 1946 (Johnson, Beck and Woodburn 1984: 3).
- Over the following decades, other partners joined Milne including Rolfe V. Boehm (1946), Lindsay C. Dawkins (1946), briefly Russell S. Ellis (c.1947), F.P. Bulbeck (c.mid 1950s) and John Twopeny (1960). Milne’s ‘volatile’ disposition resulted in ‘[j]ust about every architect in Adelaide … [being] in partnership with old Ken at one time or another’ (Page 1986: 202).
- Milne designed many significant Adelaide buildings including Lister House on North Terrace (1927), and the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society building on Waymouth Street (1928).
|Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society building on Waymouth Street (1928).
|offices for Goldsbrough, Mort & Co. Ltd (1935)
On a study-tour of Britain and Europe in 1933-34, Milne renewed an interest in Georgian architecture, in particular the work of the Adam brothers.
|Arbury Park Estate of Alexander Downer
|North Adelaide Mansion – Sunnyside
- This style was reflected in Arbury Park (1934), Bridgewater, a house he designed for (Sir) Alexander Downer,
- in his own home, Sunnyside (1936), North Adelaide,
- and in offices for Goldsbrough, Mort & Co. Ltd (1935) and H. C. Sleigh Ltd (1955), both in Adelaide. Milne considered these buildings his best work.
- He was president (1937-39) of the South Australian Institute of Architects and received its award of merit (1944) for Sunnyside.
- In 1933 he travelled to Britain and Europe for several months where he took a keen interest in Georgian architecture particularly the work of Robert and James Adams. This influence can be seen in his designs for Sir Alexander Downer’s residence at Aldgate, known as Arbury Park (c.1930s), and his own house, Sunnyside on Stanley Street in North Adelaide (c.1936). Milne is well-known for his exceptional detailing. He laboured over the design of elements such as skirtings, architraves and windows (Interview with Milne 29 April 1979: 2).
- Other important buildings include Goldsbrough House on North Terrace (1935) and the H.C. Sleigh building on Pirie Street (1950s). The Sleigh building was criticised at the time because it was designed in the Georgian style. However it illustrates a significant transition point in the state’s architectural history when traditional Classical designs were still considered relevant by some architects such as Milne even in the face of modernism. Milne was reluctant to embrace modernism and gradually retired from practice during the period from 1956 to 1962.
From the late 1940s a number of associates had joined Milne in partnership: L. C. Dawkins and R. V. Boehm (1946), R. S. Ellis (1947), F. P. Bulbeck (by 1957), J. R. N. Twopeny (1960) and James Hodge (by 1964). Milne promoted his profession by giving public addresses on architecture and by helping to establish a school of architecture at the University of Adelaide.
In 1955 his firm donated £1000 to the university; in 1958 he gave £5000 for the Kenneth and Hazel Milne travelling scholarship in architecture. In semi-retirement from 1957, he continued to undertake alterations to buildings he had previously designed and other work for established clients (such as the Angas and Kidman families) until he retired in 1973. He was made a life fellow (1970) of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.
- Throughout his career, Milne played an active role in the profession. He was the President of the South Australian Institute of Architects (SAIA) from August 1937 to August 1939.
- In 1940 he was a founding member of the Architects’ Board of South Australia which administered the Architects Act – an act which governed the registration of architects (Page 1986: 191).
- He helped establish the Chair of Architecture at the University of Adelaide and was a member of the Faculty of Town Planning and Architecture. His association with the University of Adelaide was reinforced when he established the ‘Kenneth and Hazel Milne Travelling Scholarship in Architecture’ for architecture students.
|Staff of Messrs. Robertson & Marks, Milne at right (L to R: Robertson, Gould, De Putron, Pitt, Milne, Miss Robertson”)
|Staff member in the architecture office of F. Kenneth Milne, c1920s, Milne collection S4, image courtesy Architecture Museum, University of South Australia
Active in the English-Speaking Union and the Liberal and Country League of South Australia, Milne was small in stature, physically fit and mentally alert. He belonged to the Adelaide Rowing Club, the Amateur Sports Club and the South Australian Rugby Union. To celebrate his ninety-first year, he stroked an A.R.C. VIII on the River Torrens, with three family members in the crew. He died on 3 October 1980 at Calvary Hospital, North Adelaide, and was cremated. His only child Kenneth Lancelot, founding president (1977) of the South Australian division of the Australian Democrats, sat in the Legislative Council in 1979-85.
- Milne’s contribution to architecture was recognised during his lifetime. In 1944 he was awarded the first SAIA Award of Merit for Domestic Architecture for his own residence Sunnyside. In 1953 he was honoured with her Majesty’s Coronation Medal.
- In 1970 he was awarded Life Fellow of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects. Milne’s passion for architecture was matched by his enthusiasm for sport. He was an avid sportsman and a life member of both the S.A. Rugby Union and the Adelaide Rowing Club
|Anlaby House and Garden
Anlaby House and Garden Nuriootpa Rd Waterloo Plains via Kapunda, SA
- Anlaby garden is of the old fashioned “English style” yet located in a dry South Australian climate from 1904
- Anlaby is connected with three of Australia’s more famous explorers. Charles Sturt provisioned there on an expedition in 1845. Edward John Eyre in one of the station cottages for about a year. John McKinley stayed overnight while leading the expedition in search of Burke Wills.
|Arbury Park Estate, exterior elevations of Downer Residence, Bridgewater
Arbury Park Estate, an outstanding Georgian mansion built in 1935 for the Alexander Downer family and ‘certainly one of South Australia’s finest homes’.Features include:
- 15 main rooms
- 7 bedrooms
- Formal dining room
- A guest wing with sitting rooms, bedroom and bathroom.
- 3 bedroom caretaker’s flat
- Sir Alexander Downer renamed the property “Arbury Park” from its original name of “Raybrodie” but retained the botanic gardens.
The land was acquired by the State Government in 1967 as part of the construction of the South Eastern Freeway but later was turned over to the Education Department, which built a 31-room accommodation centre for the training of teachers.
The Salerno family bought the two titles for $2.4 million in 2001.
Real Estate Institute of SA president Robin Turner said: “It is very much part of the state’s heritage and a place of interest to most South Australians,” he said.
- ADELAIDE’S historic Arbury Park mansion at Aldgate in the Hills has sold to a leading property investor for about $4 million.
The childhood home of former Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer, now owned by the Salerno family, was put on the market for $5.25 million in January, 2005, but was retracted. The family put it up for sale with Toop&Toop for about $5 million in May, 2006, but it failed to sell by tender.
The property was relisted for $4.2 million but is believed to have sold for less than $4 million.
Port Adelaide Football Club director and property investor Alex Panas bought the property but would not disclose the price.
Drumminor 61 Golden Grove Rd Ridgehaven, SA
- Two storey building constructed of random sandstone rubble with large semi-faced roughly squared quoins. Originally consisted of four rooms to both ground and first floors, a kitchen wing and extensive three room cellar.
|Interior of above house
- (Above) Mr. C. L. Jessop’s beautiful home at Dutton Terrace, Medindie SA (1919)
(below) Is this the same residence in Dutton Terrace? (extensively altered, but then alterations were popular)
Or is this the residence built for Mrs Rowland Cudmore. Feb 1917 in the same street?
(below): Home of Mr. Dudley C. Turner, 260 Stanley Street, North Adelaide
|Dudley C. Turner Esq. residence, 260 Stanley Street, North Adelaide
|Elevation at UniSA Museum
|260 Stanley Street North Adelaide in the 1950s
|Contemporary view of Dudley C. Turner Esq. residence, North Adelaide
- (above) Home of Mr. Dudley C. Turner, 260 Stanley Street, North Adelaide, showing alterations made since construction in 1913, Billiard room added in 1919,1927
- (below) Original Residence of Mr. Kenneth Milne, South Terrace, Kensington Gardens
- (above) Contemporary view of the original Residence of Mr. Kenneth Milne, South Terrace, Kensington Gardens
|Northern elevation of Mrs Toms House, 333 Portrush Road, Toorak Gardens SA
|Eastern view of house for W Henderson and S Toms, Toorak Gardens
- (above) House of Mrs. S. Toms. Portrush Road. Toorak Gardens built 1914 (Notable building of SA)
|2 Fitzroy Terrace Thorngate sold for $2,700,000 in Mar 2013
- (above) Mr Clive Milne’s Residence. 2 Fitzroy Terrace, Thorngate, SA. (Eaton House – renovation
“Built in 1913 for Milne’s brother and successively owned by GM Holden and the Greek Consulate, the residence on one of Adelaide’s premier boulevards boasts an impeccable provenance and all the trappings of status including successively larger and more imposing entrance halls leading to grand reception rooms, currently disposed as formal lounge, study and billiard room.”
|Ayers house, Clare, designed by Architect Kenneth Milne
(from Kenneth Milne collection, UniSA Architecture Museum)
- S3/81/1 – A. R. Downer Esq. Residence ‘Arbury Park’ 1934, p. 23
- S3/81/2 – A. R. Downer Esq. Residence ‘Arbury Park’ 1934, p. 23
- S3/82/1 – Arbury Park Swiss cottage, p. 23b
- S3/83/1 – Memorial Chapel Arbury Park, 1957, p. 24
- S3/83/2 – Memorial Chapel Arbury Park, 1957, p. 24
- S3/84/1 – F. Kenneth Milne Esq. ‘Sunnyside’ North Adelaide 1939, p. 25
- S3/85/1 – R.H. Beare Blackwood, 1958, p. 25b
- S3/86/1 – P. Raven Residence, Eden Hills, 1955, p. 26
- S3/87/1 – Burton’s Residence, West Beach, 1955, p. 27
- S3/88/1 – K. P. Williams Residence, Prospect, 1957, p. 27
- S3/89/1 – Goldbrough Mort Managers Residence, Pt. Augusta 1956, p. 28
- S3/89/2 – Goldbrough Mort Offices, Pt. Augusta 1956, p. 28 (loose)
- S3/90/1 – Matthews house, Belleview Heights 1956, p. 29
- S3/91/1 – K. Dunstan, Residence at Hove, 1957, p. 30
- S3/92/1 – F. Kenneth Milne Esq. Cottage, Victor Harbour, 1954, p. 31
- S3/92/2 – F. Kenneth Milne Esq. Cottage, Victor Harbour, 1954, p. 31
- S3/93/1 – Residence at Victor Harbour, p. 32
- S3/94/1 – P. D. Barlow, Elizabeth Grove, 1957, p. 33
- S3/95/1 – A. Waye, Lockleys, 1958, p. 33
- S3/96/1 – W.L. Bushby Residence, Home Park, 1957, p. 34
- S3/97/1 – D. Gomer Residence, South Road Park, 1957
- S3/98/1 – C.E. South, St Georges, 1958, p. 35
- S3/98/2 – C.E. South, St Georges, 1958, p. 35
- S3/99/1 – John Thring, Bugle Ranges 1961, p. 35b
- S3/99/2 – John Thring, Bugle Ranges 1961, p. 35b
- S3/100/1 – Harry Stephens, Darwin, 1975, p. 36
- (See also residences for which architectural plans survive below in addendum)
Major Architectural works in South Australia
Firms or Professional Partnerships
|F. Kenneth Milne
|F. Kenneth Milne & Evans
|F. Kenneth Milne
|F. Kenneth Milne, Evans & Russell
|F. Kenneth Milne, Boehm & Ellis
|F. Kenneth Milne, Boehm, Ellis & Bulbeck
|Milne, Twopeny & Hodge
- D. L. Johnson et al, F. Kenneth Milne (Adel, 1984)
- South Australian Master Builder, July/Aug 1975, p 23
- Advertiser (Adelaide), 24 Sept 1924, 2 Apr 1937, 5 May 1939, 21 July 1959, 4 Oct 1980
- Daily (Adelaide), 4 June 1970
- F. K. Milne collection (Architecture Archives, University of South Australia).
- (1936) ‘Who’s Who’ South Australian Centenary 1936, Amalgamated Publishing Co., Adelaide, p. 283.
- Goad, P. (2012) ‘Milne, Kenneth’ in Goad, P. and Willis, J. (eds) The encyclopaedia of Australian architecture, Cambridge University Press: 457.
- Page, M. (1986) Sculptors in Space: South Australian Architects 1836-1986, RAIA (SA), Adelaide.
- Johnson, D.L. (1980) Australian Architecture 1901-51: Sources of Modernism, Sydney University Press, Sydney.
- ‘Past Presidents, SA Chapter: Frank Kenneth Milne’, PLACE, November 2011: 11.
- The Critic, 19 July 1922, p. 5.
- Collins, S.L. (2007) Traces that Remain: Architectural Drawings as Contextual Records, unpublished PhD thesis, University of South Australia.
- Milne, F.K. (29 April 1979) Milne Collection S75, LLSAM.
- Milne, F.K. (4 May 1979) Milne Collection S75, LLSAM.
- Milne, F.K. (12 May 1979) ‘Glenelg Days, Relations Etc’, Milne Collection S75, LLSAM.
- Milne, F.K. (undated) ‘Growing Up – North Adelaide and Blackwood’, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- Notes on F. Kenneth Milne, 29 March 1940, Milne Collection S18, LLSAM.
- Dictionary of International Biography Form, 1978, Milne Collection S18, LLSAM.
- Research notes and various articles relating to F.K. Milne, F. Kenneth Milne’s Resume, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- ‘Oval Scoreboard Designer Dies’, Advertiser, 4 October 1980, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- Extracts from The Register detailing the Architectural Practice of F. Kenneth Milne from 1909-1921, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- Extracts from The Builders’ and Contractors’ Weekly Gazette from June 1921 to December 1928 detailing the Architectural Practice of F. Kenneth Milne & Evans, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- Extracts from Building and Construction detailing the Architectural Practice of F. Kenneth Milne & Evans, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- List of buildings designed by Milne, notes relating to the National Estate Project, Milne Collection S76, LLSAM.
- Johnson, D.L., Beck, E.T. and Woodburn, S. (1984) F. Kenneth Milne: A Portrait of an Architect, Flinders University Art Museum, Adelaide, Milne Collection S124, LLSAM.
- State Library of South Australia (SLSA) Family History Database, ‘SA Births 1842-1906’, ‘SA Births 1907-1928’, and ‘SA Marriages 1842-1916’, accessed online 8 July 2008 at SLSA.
Addendum: Architectural Drawings Series 5
MILNE, F. Kenneth COLLECTION
Architecture Museum, University of South Australia
Buildings designed by F. Kenneth Milne 1916-1974. Received in numbered envelopes often containing drawings relating to more than one building, as numbering system related to a client rather than a structure. Envelopes occasionally contained related drawings of other
architects, including original drawings of buildings renovated or added to by Milne and later work on buildings originally designed by Milne. A complete card index (Special List) of drawings and correspondence relating to the designs has been compiled. A copy of the card
index is attached. Plans in drawers.
- S5/1/1-21 New Grandstand for the S.A.C.A., Adelaide Oval, Milne and Evans, 1922, F57
- S5/2/1-15 Marble Hill ruin, National Trust, 1879, 1939, 1968, Milne, Twopeny and Hodge, F262
- S5/3/1-23 Peeks Ltd, Adelaide, Lister House (called Tobin House in 2002), North
- Terrace, 1928-9, Milne, Evans and Russell, F86
- S5/4/1-3 Amscol Depot, Salisbury, Milne, Dawkins, Boehm and Ellis, 1955, F65a
- S5/5/1-2 Amscol Cheese factory, Victor Harbor, 1944, F. Kenneth Milne, F65b
- S5/6/1-80 Amscol Factory, Adelaide, 1927, 1946, 1948, F65
- S5/7/1-5 Ozone Theatre, Alberton, Fussell Place, 1929, 1942, 1947, O232
- S5/8/1-6 Ozone Theatre, Victor Harbor, 1934, O232
- S5/9/1-3 AMP Branch, Clare, 1916, O847
- S5/10/1-11 Residence for C.H. Angas, ‘Lindsay Park, Angaston, 1926, 1938, 1943, 1944, O253
- S5/11/1-3 Residence for Keith Angas, Kingsford, 1924, O253
- S5/12/1-5 Anglican Church, Kensington Gardens, 1926-7, O173
- S5/13/1- Residence for Dudley C. Turner, Stanley Street, North Adelaide, 1913, 1919, 1927, 816
- S5/14/1-4 Residence for Dudley C. Turner, ‘Thorpe’, Mount Lofty, 1924, 1949, 816 (c)
- S5/15/1-12 Residence for S.H. Ayers Esq. Clare, 1912, 1919, 1921, 1934, O736
- S5/16/1-10 Residence of S. Harvey Jnr., Myall Ave, Kensington Gardens, 1926, 1927, O741
- S5/17/1-7 Residence for S. Harvey Jnr., Salisbury, 1952, 1954, 741(c)
- S5/18/1 Residence for Keith Angas, Woodside, 1924, 253
- S5/19/1-3 Residence ‘Wairoa’, Aldgate for T.E. Barr-Smith, 1928-29, 2034
- S5/20/1 Residence for T.E. Barr-Smith, Victor Harbor, ‘Puff-Puff Palace’, 1926, 1927, 2034
- S5/21/1-4 Trophy case for Victor Harbor Golf Club, 2034
- S5/22/1 Bank Branch for E.S.&A., Riverton, 3213(a)
- S5/23/1-18 E.S.&A. Bank, King William St, Adelaide (was Scottish & Aust. Bank), 1920, 1921, 1925, 1946, F706
- S5/24/1 E.S.&A. Bank, Terowie, 1920, 3213(c)
- S5/25/1 E.S.&A. Bank, 193 Unley Road, 1925, 3213(b)
- S5/26/1-18 Residence for E.S.&A. Bank, Mt Gambier, 1953, 1955, 1956, 3213(d)
- S5/27/1-2 National Art Gallery for Alex Melrose, Adelaide, 1935, 1937,
- S5/28/1-7 Television Studio for Television Broadcasters Ltd, 125 Strangways Tce., Nth Adelaide, 1959
- S5/29/1-2 ‘Andover’ serviced flats for aged people, 1945
- S5/30/1-3 Residence for Bill Morrish, Victor Harbor
- S5/31/1-15+ Residence for Kenneth Milne, Victor Harbor, 1954, 1955, 1957-59, 1976, F179
- S5/32/1-19 Savings Bank of S.A., Gouger Street, 1925-26, 1963, 1966, F29
- S5/33/1-46 Goldsbrough Mort, North Tce, Adelaide, 1925-26, 1963, 1966, F20
- S5/34/1-61 ANZ Bank Pty Ltd, Grote Street, Adelaide, Market Branch, 1949, 1951-57, 1961, 1964, 1969, 1974, 1976, F703
- S5/35/1 -78 Goldsbrough Mort Woolstore, Port Adelaide, 1925, 1937, 1947, 1951-57, F4
- S5/36/1-2 Residence for Mrs E. Davidson, 4 Frederick St., Gilberton, O89A
- S5/37/1 Residence for Mr E Davidson, ‘Pooroona’, Mt Barker, O89B
- S5/38/1-17 Residence for John Ayers, Northgate St, Unley Park, 1939, 1940, 1943, 870A&B
- S5/39/1-144 Residence for F.K. Milne, Stanley Street, North Adelaide, ‘Sunnyside’, F179, F180
- S5/40/1- 12 Residence for F.K. Milne, Mt Lofty, incl. Mt Waverly Tank Stand
- S5/41/1-2 Residence of Dr E.A.H. Russell, 95 North Terrace, Kensington Gardens, O890
- S5/42/1 -10 Residence for Alec Melrose Esq, ‘Kadlunga’, Mintaro, 1920-21, O824
- S5/43/1-2 Residence for H.S. Hudd Esq., Cnr Victoria Avenue and Edith St, Unley Park, Ink on linen, 1922, O864
- S5/44/1 -2 Residence for W.G. Smith, ‘Yalumba’, Angaston, additions, O9
- S5/45/1-5 Residence for Hugh and D.L. Davidson Esq., 12 Robe Tce, Medindie, Alterations, 1926, 1973, O214
- S5/46/1 Residence for Noel Fisher Esq., Sandy Creek, 1923, O78
- S5/47/1-2 Residence for F.G. Scafe Esq., Woodside, 1919, O21
- S5/48/1-2 Residence for Mrs B. O’Brien, 19 Baliol St, College Park, 1974, ink on butterpaper and spirit copy, O42
- S5/49/1-13 Residence for Mrs S. Ayers, 3 Brougham Place, Nth Adelaide, 1949, O287
- S5/50/1-2 Residence for R.R. Black Esq, South Tce, Adelaide 1922, O77
- S5/51/1 -3 Residence for Dr De Crespigny, Strangways Tce, Nth Adelaide, 1927, O734
- S5/52/1 Residence for J.F. Davis Esq, Cnr Ways Rd and Romilly Ave, Hampstead, 1956, O926
- S5/53/1-4 Residence for A.W. Dawkins Esq, Gawler, 1952-54, O730
- S5/54/1-3 Residence for D.T. Angas Esq, Hill River Station, Clare, 1920, 1928, O308
- S5/55/1-2 Residences for C. Deeley Esq. ‘Yultewirra’ Mt Lofty, 1928 and Fitzroy Tce., Thorngate 1961, O176
- S5/56/1-2 Residence for C.L. Jessop Esq., Dutton Tce, Medindie, 1920, O6
- S5/57/1 Residence for Mrs Mann, Cnr Brunswick St and St Andrews St, North Walkerville, 1924, O99
- S5/58/1-2 Residence for Dr Hubert M Jay, Burnside, 1922, O319
- S5/59/1-2 Residence for Colin Heard Esq, Naracoorte, 1954 amd 1965,
- S5/60/1-129 Residence for A.R. Downer Esq ‘Arbury Park’ Aldgate , F 60
- S5/61/1 – 28 Residence for Hon. Sir Geoffrey S. Reid, 17 Briar Ave, Medindie, 1953-54, 1957-58
- S5/62/1-28 Residence for G.H. Michell, 11 Briar Ave., Medindie, 1939, 1940, 1954-56
- S5/63/1-76 Residence for Sydney Hamilton Esq, 210 Stanley St, Nth Adelaide, F135
- S5/64/1-31 Residence for John Parker Esq, ‘Old Canowie’, S.A., F108
- S5/65/1-17 ‘Lady Galway’ Red Cross Convalescent Home, Robert St, Glenelg, 1944-45, 1950, 1958-59, F607
- S5/66/1-42 ‘Kapara’ Red Cross Home, Moseley St, Glenelg, 1928, 1941, 1958, F606
- S5/67/1 Flats for Mrs Mount, Dryden Ave, Hazelwood Park, nd, John S. Chappel (Architect)
- S5/68/1-18 Flats for W.K. Kidman, proposed, F59
- S5/69/1-8 Darkes Peak Hotel for S.A. Brewing Co., 1937, all pencil on tracing paper, O822
- S5/70/1-6 Crown and Anchor Hotel, Grenfell St, Adelaide, 1927-29, all ink on linen, O845
- S5/71/1-3 Port Noarlunga Hotel, Port Noarlunga, 1932, all ink on linen, O817
- S5/72/1- 16 Blood Transfusion Centre, Red Cross, Pirie St, Adelaide, Orig. Royalston, 1901, 1924-55, 1957, 601
- S5/73/1-26 Red Cross house, Stephens Place, Adelaide, 1946, 1964-65, 1975, F609
- S5/74/1-3 Ross Davies Olympic Health Studios, 55 Pirie St, 1965, O322
- S5/75/1 Peter Simon Hatchery, Salisbury, 1954, O741(D)
- S5/76/1-30 Sir ‘Keith Kidman Houses’- ‘Eringa at Northgate St and ‘Wyebo’ at Grange, F32
- S5/77/1-5 Crown Hotel, Victor Harbor for H.J. Jacobs
- S5/78/1-54 Residence for Ewn Waterhouse, Blackwood Park, Strathalbyn, 1954-57, F94
- S5/79/1-31 Residence for Lance Milne, Burlington St, Walkerville, 1951, 1953, 1958-59, 1961, F107
- S5/80/1-14 Residence for Sir Keith Angas, Fitzroy Tce, Thorngate, 1917, 1965-66, 272
- S5/81/1-46 ANZ Bank, Blackwood, 1925, 1928, 1951-52, 1956-57, 1969, 1978, F724
- S5/82/1-128 H.C. Sleigh Ltd, 228 Pirie St, Adelaide, 1955-57, 1959-60, F67
- S5/83/1- F.H. Faulding and Co, James Place, Adel and Reid St, Thebarton, 1916, 1918, 1921-23, F19
- S5/84/1-6 Miscellaneous, P65 floor plans 3 bdrm house, ozalids (2) house, blueprints (3) Police Station, Adelaide River, N.T., 1944
- S5/85/1 Residence alterations and additions for A A Scarfe, Grange, (possibly 1913 according to tender book)
- ^ http://www.architectsdatabase.unisa.edu.au/arch_full.asp?Arch_ID=57
- ^ http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59301426#pstart5303029
- ^ http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/old-downer-mansion-goes-for-4m/story-e6frea83-1111115393880
- ^ http://www.architecture.com.au/docs/default-source/act-notable-buildings/120-notable-buildings.pdf?sfvrsn=0
- ^ http://bordermail.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/SA/Thorngate/?adid=2009947787
- ^ http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/realestate/restoration-retains-an-original-mix/story-e6frefdl-1226452812560
- ^ http://w3.unisa.edu.au/artarchitecturedesign/architecturemuseum/docs/catalogue/MilneF.K2010.pdf