Arts and Crafts style Houses in Australia
[Previous post: Haberfield Arts & Crafts Style … Next post:Haberfield Gardens ]
The Arts and Crafts architects created some of the most thoughtful, beautifully crafted and inspired architecture in Australia’s history.
Table of Contents
- See also Haberfield Arts & Crafts Style
The English Arts and Crafts movement had an influence on the architecture of Australia, from the late 1800s, where the style of building was adapted to the Australian landscape and conditions. Emerging around 1890, the Arts and Crafts movement in Australia flourished until the outbreak of World War 1, (1914-1918).
As its name implies, the Arts and Crafts style was concerned with the integration of art into everyday life through the medium of craftsmanship.
- There is a strong flavour of morality, with stress on the truthful use of materials and the honest expression of function.
- Arts and Crafts buildings are unpretentious and informal, evoking an atmosphere of comfortable familiarity.
- In Australia, Federation Arts and Crafts architecture exhibits qualities similar to those of the overseas models from which it drew inspiration.
- Buildings in this style are domestic in scale and make free use of traditional (usually English) vernacular motifs to achieve an unassuming, homely, well-established character.
- Designers aimed for informality in planning, massing, fenestration and landscaping.
|Patterns of Arts and Crafts|
Arts and Crafts architecture was most developed in Melbourne, spearheaded by architects Walter Butler, Harold Desbrowe-Annear and Guyon Puchas. Other architects in this style in Victoria were Robert Haddon, Rodney Alsop, WAM Blackett and Philip Hudson.
- In Sydney the Arts and Crafts movement was established by architects Horbury Hunt, Geroge Sydney Jones, Edward Jeaffreson Jackson, FG Castleden and BJ Waterhouse.
Arts and Crafts architecture developed in the same time-frame as Federation style, and just as Queen Anne style claims most of the early innovations in domestic housing, Arts and Crafts style informed the architecture of the later, grander houses built after the ‘boom’ period.
- Noted historian Harriet Edquist positions Arts and Crafts as the central tradition of turn of the century Australian domestic architecture, and ‘Federation style’ as the speculative and ultimately unproductive result of the 1880s Queen Anne and Old English domestic revivals.
- The roof is a dominant element, featuring gables (with barges or parapets) and/or hips of medium to steep pitch and prominent eaves.
- Tall, tapering chimneys, battered wall- buttresses and bay windows are characteristic elements of the style.
Pebbledash stucco or roughcast was commonly used as an exterior wall finish, together with other materials having earthy, ‘natural’ colours and textures.
- Interiors frequently display timber panelling and sturdy ceiling beams.
- Touches of Art Nouveau detail are common, both externally and internally.
From: The art and craft of living by JENNY BROWN Domain NOV 8, 2010
“Quite unique. Wonderful” – “It’s an understatement when it comes to describing Arts and Crafts houses in any respect.
|Architect Peter Crone and his wife Jane (centre) with the National Trust’s Tracey Avery.|
- They resulted from an aesthetic movement – born initially in Britain in the late 1800s but a movement that found expression in many Western countries – as a reaction against the mass production of the industrial era.
- It was a return to craft and the aesthetic of the hand-made item that was chosen for beauty and made to last.
- The artisan ethos is evident in everything to do with Arts and Crafts. From the choice of materials; wood, brass, leadlight, lathe plaster, stippled walls containing plastered lumps of coal, turned joinery in organic shapes, to the merest details such as brass latches, hinges and catches.”
“Arts and Crafts houses in Victoria are relatively rare. “We’ve lost a few,” says Tracey Avery, conservation co-ordinator with the National Trust.
- “Comparatively few were built in Australia.
- In Victoria, they were built in the country, in the Western District, and in the wealthier suburbs of Toorak, Parkville, East Melbourne, Caulfield and eastern suburbs.”
- There are five in Heidelberg. The best local Arts and Crafts properties were by Annear, Robert Haddon and Walter Butler.
- The houses concentrate in the 19th century red-brick wealth belts because all the fine detail made them expensive to construct, she says. “They rarely come up on the open market and are so special, they are hard to value.”
- As real estate they are actually in such an exceptional category that she is happy to use the words “priceless” and “irreplaceable”. And for that, Ms Avery can’t emphasise enough that they are housing stock that should be so valued by their owners that they are treated with kid-gloves.”
“Scott Patterson, director of Jellis Craig Hawthorn, says Arts and Crafts houses often preside in the centre of overly large blocks that are hard to subdivide. He sold one, set on an enormous site this year in Canterbury for more than $2.7 million.
- “Magnificent. Beautiful proportions and with rooms that flowed into each other,” he says.
- Mr Patterson says all period houses in the inner suburbs are popular but Arts and Crafts are especially prized and are easily in the $2-$3 million category “depending on land size”.
- The renewed appreciation for the style is timely because it presents a complete contrast to mass-produced modern, minimalist interiors. Instead, Arts and Crafts houses are about the enhancement of the material fabric. “It’s known as ‘truth to material’,” Ms Avery explains. “There is a sense of the emotional connection to materials. The timber and metal. They convey a craftsmanship that people seem to really appreciate. Even the door handles are both decorative and comfortable to use.”
- Further to being enchantingly attractive, these antique homes embody some of the pioneering principals of sustainable building. “They’re also about good sustainable architecture,” says Ms Avery. “They used local materials and local craftsmen. They didn’t import mass-produced items.”
“Some of the best-known architects of the arts and crafts movement in Australia include Walter Butler, Harold Desbrowe-Annear, Walter Liberty Verson, Robin Dods, Horbury Hunt, Robert Haddon and Alsop.
- Homes of this style were built generally in pockets of Melbourne, around Toorak, Kew, Malvern, Armadale and Camberwell, in areas of Sydney like the eastern suburbs, the North Shore and the Blue Mountains, and in a few neighbourhoods in Canberra and Brisbane.
- Many were torn down 20 years ago in the push for brand new homes by buyers who never truly understood their value and importance in pioneering modernism, says Edquist, but a number have been carefully restored, and often heritage-listed to protect them forever. They come up on the market, however, only rarely. ” – From Arts of living: Arts and craft houses having their time in the sun by SUE WILLIAMS DOMAIN REPORTER MAY 20, 2016
|Glyn, 4 Robertson Street, Toorak Photo: Image Factory|
|The Perth Mint|
310 Hay Street, Hill and Goderich Streets, East Perth.
Perth Mint has aesthetic value for its high level of craftsmanship, fine detailing, proportion and composition and the amenity achieved in the design and construction of the buildings designed in the Free Romanesque style of architecture. The complex is a significant streetscape element featuring Tamala limestone (some of which came from Rottnest Island), red brick and a rich roofscape of Marseilles tiles and corrugated iron cladding.The building is a landmark in the street with its fine detailing and industrial chimneys which punctuate the skyline and the fine detail throughout gives the place a high degree of unity in its streetscape setting
Cathedral Av, Perth, WA, Australia
This is one of Perth’s most handsome and vigorous buildings. It was intended to be extended along Hay Street. The close relationship of building to street, generated by the overhanging balconies, has a sophistication unequalled in Perth.
This is one of the best known landmarks in Perth.This magnificent building was designed by G Temple Poole and built by Paterson and Taylor in 1896-98. The building was basically of brick construction with some steel and reinforced concrete elements incorporated into the boldly projected verandahs. The arched window openings on the top floor and the second level Classical colonnade with a heavy balustrade of the balconies create a most interesting play of light and shade bringing the whole of facade to life.
Perth Observatory and Government Astronomers Residence (former)
4 Havelock St, West Perth, WA, Australia The Government Astronomer’s residence is historically significant as the remnant of the earliest Western Australian (WA) purpose built observatory.
The residence was one of a pair of buildings, the second, which housed the telescope dome and support facilities for the collection of astronomical and meteorological data from the early 1900s until 1963, is no longer extant.
The remaining residence, built in 1896, is architecturally significant as a fine example of the Federation Free Classical style, designed by government architect, George Temple-Poole The building also has high townscape value and is an important landmark located in a prominent position near Parliament House and the old Hale School
The headquarters of the National Trust in Western Australia is located in West Perth on the former Perth Observatory site. The location is a prestigious one, set in a park like landscape close to the centre of the city, Parliament House and Kings Park.
2. Walter LIberty Vernon, NSW
- Walter Liberty Vernon was born in Buckinghamshire, England. He was trained in England and emigrated to Australia in 1885. In 1890, he was appointed the Chief Government Architect (NSW).
Jenolan Caves House – a great hotel designed by Walter Liberty Vernon
“Throughout Vernon’s 21 years in this post, hundreds of building were designed and constructed by the Public works Department under his supervision, such as The Art Gallery of NSW, Mitchell Library and Sydney Central Railway Station.
- He employed a range of styles, but all reflecting his early training and English influences.
The Art Gallery of New South Wales was completed in 1909.
Caves House appears to be his first public building employing an English vernacular revival style.
Caves House can be seen as influenced by the large country houses in England such as Standen in Sussex, St. Alban’s Court in Kent, Avon Tyrell in Hampshire and Cragside in Northumberland.
All are in the English vernacular revival style with its stress on homeliness and simplicity and whose advocates took care to base each building on the building customs and materials of the region in which it was built.”
- Jenolan Caves House was built from limestone quarried on site.
Walter Liberty Vernon, Government Architect, was a resident of Neutral Bay and Alderman of the Borough of East St. Leonards, and was responsible for changing the name of Thrupps Point Road to Kurraba Road.
- However his own house, Wendover, built in Normanhurst in 1895, was a more modest affair. Named after a picturesque village in Buckinghamshire, England, the unpretentious exterior belied an elegant interior decorated with antiques and fine furniture. The sprawling grounds featuring large trees and cottage gardens allowed Vernon to indulge his passion for gardening.
|49 Kurraba Road, Neutral Bay||53 Kurraba Road Neutral Bay||57 Kurraba Road Neutral Bay|
“There is an interesting collection of federation houses along Kurraba Rd between Wycombe Rd and Billong Stt erected on the Neutral Bay Land Company estate.
- “Take particular notice of the impressive Victorian Villa residence on the intersection of Wycombe and Kurraba Rds. This is one of the surviving houses designed by Walter Liberty Vernon, Government Architect and resident of Penshurst (house formerly located to the north in present Penshurst Avenue). He was also a member of the Neutral Bay Land Company syndicate which promoted leaseholds in this vicinity in the late 1880s.”
- Penshurst residence, Neutral Bay 1884
- Chalet, Inner Domain by Government House, 1890The Chalet 1890, is located at the northern end of the Western Terrace, as is a motor garage. The Chalet and its covered walkway breaks with the Gothic style of Government House.
The Chalet, Government House Sydney
It is designed in the Arts and Craft style, constructed of timber with a terracotta roof. It has half timbered gables and broad brick chimneys and an oriel window.
418 Moppett St, Hay, NSW, Australia
- Hay Courthouse makes excellent use of brickwork and reflects some characteristics of Federation Bungalow style as applied to a public building.
- The design helps to some degree to show Architect W L Vernon’s concern for adapting buildings to their harsh environment; the building was the first courthouse designed by Vernon after he became Government Architect.
- The 1892 courthouse was built by contractor, Mr Brown from Young, at a cost of 6,500 pounds.
- The courthouse’s large, simple roof planes and its deep verandahs are features of Federation Bungalow style architecture, in this case applied to a public building.
- The court room in this symmetrical building is double height and centrally placed; it is topped by a gable with the coat of arms and a finial. To the sides of three narrow windows are round, multipane windows.
See also page Architect John Horbury Hunt
Booloominbah reflects the Gothic revivalist influences of the ‘Queen Anne’ style
- Booloominbah is of State heritage significance as one of the largest private country houses built in Australia during the 19th century and amongst the most avant-garde domestic Arts and Crafts style designs of the time.
Designed as an interpretation of an English country house, Booloominbah sits in a relatively intact landscape. As such, it is exemplary of the work of architect John Horbury Hunt.
As well as being large, it is also extravagant in decoration, in particular the use of stained glass. The fabric substantially demonstrates the wealth and influence of pastoralism in NSW in late 19th century.
- Its gift by Thomas R. Forster was the catalyst for the establishment of the New England University College, the first in Australia to be located outside of a capital city. The gift of such a substantial house demonstrates the historical circumstances of the White family’s involvement, the impetus from the local church and community groups, and the ‘new state’ movement in establishing Armidale as a major educational centre in NSW.
- Pibrac, 11 Pibrac Avenue, 1889, architect John Horbury Hunt,
- In 1888, the public servant and patron of exploration Frederick Ecclestone du Faur built his house Pibrac in Pibrac Avenue.
- The house was designed by John Horbury Hunt, a Canadian architect who settled in Australia and favoured the Arts and Crafts style, as well as the North American Shingle style, which he introduced to Australia.
- Later alterations were carried out by B.J.Waterhouse. The house is composed predominantly of timber, with extensive use of timber shingles, on a sandstone base. It is considered a good example of Hunt’s work and is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
Destroyed by a suspicious fire on the morning of 31 October 2015, Spurling House, originally known as ‘Purno’ was designed and built in 1888 by Sydney architect (Canadian born) John Horbury Hunt and was commissioned by Miss Spurling.
Spurling House, Brighton was built in 1888
38 Black Street Brighton Vic 3186 Spurling House, Brighton was built in 1888 for Phillis Spurling to a highly innovative design by Canadian-born, Sydney architect, John Horbury Hunt.
- It is the only known example of his work in Victoria. Originally known as Purno, Spurling House was built on a large block of land in the popular seaside village of Brighton, in close proximity to the Middle Brighton railway station which was constructed from 1882-87.
Hunt’s design of the comparatively small Spurling House introduced the Shingle style to Melbourne.
- This Arts and Crafts-inspired North American domestic architectural style used organic materials in a way which heightened their natural qualities, eschewed any applied decoration, used contrasting vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines to achieve compositional balance, and grouped functional elements for aesthetic effect.
- At the height of the boom in Melbourne, when the majority of houses were designed in a highly decorative Italianate style, the surprising design of Spurling House was exceptional.
- In his design of Spurling House, Hunt used simple, open planning and externally incorporated expanses of black stained shingles, bold timber bracketting and strongly modelled brick chimneys. The composition of the front facade is highly asymmetrical, with contrasting horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines providing balance. An off centre gable; a dominant plain brick chimney shaft which is offset from the gable apex; an offset recessed verandah and varying window opening sizes provide both contrast and balance to the composition. The stained shingles of the upper facade, corbelling of the chimneys and the projection of the upper floor beyond the lower floor add to the picturesque nature of the composition.
Trevenna is the residence of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of New England, in Armidale, New South Wales, Australia. The house was built in 1892 and is located off Trevenna Road on the western side of the main campus in Armidale. There is no public access to the property or gardens, but the gardens have been open for public viewing, once in 1996 and twice in 2005.
- Designed by Canadian-born, Boston-trained architect, John Horbury Hunt (1838–1904), Trevenna was originally the home of the Wrights, a prominent New England family of graziers. It was originally built for Mrs Eliza Jane Wright. The homestead and its grounds were bequeathed to UNE as the Vice-Chancellor’s residence in 1960 by Mrs Florence May Wilson.
- The house itself comprises three storeys and features an imposing main entrance on the southern side. Some of the trees in its garden, including horse chestnuts, pines and planes, date back to the 1890s when Trevenna was built. The garden is constructed on several levels. A sunken garden, complete with stone sundialand fish pond, is on one side of the house, while on the other a series of hedges encloses a private lawn.
- The front garden slopes away into a series of hedges and wide perennial borders lead the eye across the Bellevue area of the University with the city of Armidale and Mount Duval in the distance. Trevenna’s gardens were the feature of a Woman’s Weeklyspecial in 1971.
“Highlands” was built in 1892‐93 for Alfred Horden and his wife, and was located on twenty‐four acres of land in the area between Edgeworth David Avenue, Myra Street, the railway corridor and Bundarra Avenue.Highlands is an excellent example of the north American shingle style of building and is late nineteenth century domestic architecture of very high quality. Built for Alfred Hordern in 1891, the house reveals J Horbury Hunt’s mastery of timber and brick detailing, spatial composition and complex massing forming a harmonious unity.
- Large two storey timber house built 1891. Essentially east coast north American style with roof and walls originally sheeted with timber shingles, those on roof have been replaced by cement tiles. Main framing, including window openings, is New South Wales hardwood, window sashes and doors cedar.
- Complex has single storey kitchen wing, verandahs, balcony, tower and good brick chimneys. Basic massing consists of two simple rectangular steeply pitched shapes, linked by low service wing.Highlands is significant as evidence of women shaping architecture. Mrs Caroline Hordern was a keen cook and the two-storey kitchen wing was heavily influenced by her.
- The landscaping was also of her creation and Mrs Horden introduced many exotics from the Pacific Islands to adorn the garden.This distinctive two-story house comprises two conjoining components. The prominent part is the house proper, the kitchen wing sits a separate pyramidal roof. The separation of these two functional centres was advanced for its time.
- Both roofs were originally shingled, like the walls. The wall shingles curve out over verandahs and openings, to shed water away from the walls. This is a feature of several of Hunt’s Shingle Style houses. The verandahs are supported by massive timber posts, minimally decorated. The verandahs are recessed under the eves, another design element commonly used by Hunt.
- Hamilton House, Moss Vale, 1893
Beautiful historic building – originally Hamilton House @Tudor House Preparatory School – a great initiative byThe King’s School
Hollowforth’s architect E. Jefferson Jackson is regarded as a leading architect of the period and the house ranks alongside a number of Horbury Hunt’s commissions as the finest examples of the shingle style within the State.
- Hollowforth which is both innovative and bold is an outstanding example of the American shingle style displaying further influence by the Art nouveau and English Arts and Crafts movement.
- Hollowforth reflects the Art Nouveau influence the theme of which is carried through into the fluid geometric pattern of the shingled wall surfaces. Its roof is a dramatic composition of stepped hips, broken gables, massive brick chimneys and dormer windows with conical caps. The shingled upper walls are bellcast over the lower brick walls supported on a sandstone base. The variety of window forms is typical of the period. The interior contains several fine Art Nouveau features such as leadlighting, tapered stair balusters and joinery details. Prior to its conversion into 2 strata units, the house was being used as 13 flatettes.
This building is designed in the Federation Arts and Crafts style.
- The site was the 1870 home of James Husband and family. A new house, designed by E. Jeaffreson Jackson, was owned by Dr. Capper and his mother. From this a hand-carved mantelpiece remains in the front building. It was used at times as a home and hospital. Remodelled, this was opened in 1926 by the Rt. Ho. W.M. Hughes as the Council Chambers, enlarged again in 1938. The northern end was burnt out in 1976, restored and re-opened in 1978. The Wyllie Wing, in McLaren Street, designed by Harry Seidler, was completed in 1977 
- Architect George Sydney Jones [1868-1927] was the grandson of retailer David Jones and the son of Sir Phillip Sydney Jones [1836-1918], a prominent physician. The Jones family resided at ‘Llandilo’ on The Boulevarde Strathfield [now Trinity Grammar Preparatory School] from c.1878.
- George Sydney Jones spent his childhood and early life in Strathfield and many of his early designs are located in Strathfield.George Sydney Jones was educated in architecture in London, qualifying for the diploma of Associate in the Royal Institute of British Architects [ARIBA] in 1890. He returned to Australia in 1891 and started his own architectural practice. He was elected a Fellow of the NSW Institute 1896-1901, Editor of Art & Architecture 1909-1912 and President of the NSW Institute of Architects [1912-1914 & 1920-21] .
- George Sydney Jones designed six properties in Strathfield ‘Trinity Congregational Church’ , ‘Springfort’ , ‘Darenth’, ’Bickley’ , ‘Treghre’ , and ‘Luleo’ . With the exception of ‘Springfort’ and ‘Luleo’, all properties were built for or financed by the Jones family, though ‘Luleo’ was a private commission, it was built on land jointly owned by Sir Phillip Sydney Jones and his uncle, stockbroker Thomas James (TJ) Thompso
Three survive reasonably in-tact, ‘Springfort’, ‘Darenth’ & ‘Trinity Congregational Church’. ‘Luleo’ , cnr The Boulevarde and Albyn Rd Strathfield
108 Redmyre Road Strathfield, the residence of the late Arthur Royce Lysaght, Esq. : ‘Springfort’ was built in 1894 to a design by architect George Sydney Jones for Alexander Troup. The house was illustrated as ‘A Cottage in Strathfield’ in the Australasian Builder’s and Contractor’s News in its issue of November 10 1894, which stated:‘The cottage… was erected at Strathfield some months ago, and is situated on the heights of the Sydney suburb. The walls are brick, with white dressings, mouldings etc of the same material, and the roofs are covered with American redwood shingles, with tiled ridging. The architect was Mr. G Sydney-Jones, ARIBA, of Hunter-Street, Sydney, and the work was carried out by Mr J C Horne of Alexandria, the contract amounting to 1414 pounds’.
‘Bickley’ was located on the eastern corner of Albyn Road and Kingsland Road Strathfield. It was built in 1894 for Mrs Helen Lloyd Jones to a design by her nephew architect George Sydney Jones. Mrs Jones was the widow of Davd Jones & Co Chairman, Edward Lloyd Jones, who died in a rail accident in 1894.
- ‘Bickley’ was later occupied by Mrs Jones’ daughter and son-in-law, Alice (May) Ross Nott (1871-1946) and Arthur Ross Nott (1861-1949). The house was gifted to the Notts by Mrs Jones. After the death of Alice in 1946, Nott submitted plans for conversion of ‘Bickley’ into a boarding house, which was a common use of large homes in Strathfield during this period. The plans were approved by Strathfield Council (Building Application 54/50). The boarding house conversion was never implemented.After the death of Nott in 1949, the land was purchased by Don Sumner, who demolished ‘Bickley’ in 1956 and then subdivided the property, creating residential lots facing Albyn Rd and Kingsland Rd.
- ‘Darenth’ 32 Albyn Road Strathfield was designed in 1895 by architect George Sydney Jones as a private residence for the Reverend George Littlemore, Minister of the Strathfield Trinity Congregational Church.
- The building was financed and owned by his Jones’ father Dr Phillip Sydney Jones, a close friend of Rev. George Littlemore. The Rev. Littlemore was the occupant of ‘Darenth’ until his death in 1929.
The Register of the National Estate listing describes the house as ”
- ‘Darenth’ is a single storey house of face brick in stretcher bond, tuck pointed and colour washed. The roof of unglazed Marseille tiles is broken into a number of hipped and gabled forms, and there is a prominent corner tower with a tall pyramidal roof of flat terra cotta shingles. The front verandah has turned timber posts and timber brackets.
- The architectural style is mainly Federation period Arts and Crafts style, shown in features such as the long runs of roof and exposed eaves; the use of timber shingles for fascias and over the entrance porch; the variety of window shapes including bulls eye and horseshoe; and the tones of face brick and tiles using decorative moulded bricks for string courses and hood moulds. At the same time there are a number of unconventional features including the split level plan, banded brick chimneys and curious corner brick buttresses which extend above the eaves line to form square topped pilasters, a typical Federation Free style motif. There are unsympathetic modern openings in the front wall. A mature front garden conceals the house from the street. There is a brick and timber picket front fence. The rear garden has been altered to accommodate and elevated patio and swimming pool.”
6. Guyon Purchas, VIc
Boisdale Homestead was erected in 1892 for Askin Morrison Foster, son of pioneer pastoralist John Foster, who leased the run in 1841.
- R G W Purchas, a Melbourne architect, designed the present single storey brick and timber residence with a steep broken pitch roof clad with Marseille tiles and capped with a monitor skylight. The V plan form and exterior form reflect American influences in the design.
- Biosdale Homestead is a distinctive East Gippsland residence and a notable work of R G W Purchas, an innovative architect working in the late 19th century.
- The style of Boisdale is clearly derived form contemorary American developments and contrasts with Purchas’s revivalist work, of which his own house, Tay Creggan, in Hawthorn, is the most important.
- Boisdale is an early settled pastoral run and the present residence is dramatically situated on a granite outcrop overlooking the Avon River. The interior is finely crafted. Boisdale homestead and outbuildings are maintained intact and in excellent condition.
In 1901 architect Guyon Purchas was commissioned by W.T. Manifold to again enlarge and modify the house, resulting in a highly unusual Federation Arts and Crafts style building. The most significant changes were made to the rooms along the front wing with addition of a first floor, the inclusion of a substantial hall with minstrel’s gallery, and the modification of the drawing room.
- Externally the resulting homestead is Arts and Crafts in character, with remnants of the earlier phases evident. The textured bluestone and red brick building is highly asymmetrical in composition with dominant multi-gabled roofs containing dormer windows, and encircling verandas. Detailing includes terracotta shingles in gable ends and bulbous terracotta veranda columns, exaggerated timber brackets and dressed with luestone quoining and architraves. Decorative Art Nouveau lamps remain at the porch steps.
- Internally the mains spaces are Arts ad Crafts in character with Art nouveau detailing. Extensive timber work, such as panelled walls and ceilings, frieze brands, sliding doors, screens, newell posts, fire surrounds, overmantles and inglenook seats, and metal work incorporate sinuous details. The timber fittings were crafted by Melbourne joiners, Murray and Crow, between 1902 and 1904 and, together with the metal work, were probably designed by Guyon Purchas. Manifold commissioned the leading Heidelberg School artist, Walter Wither, to executive six paintings depicting the early settlement and development of the family at Purrumbete, to line the main hall of the homestead.
See also page Architect Rodney Alsop
EDRINGTON SOHE 2008
Edrington was built in 1906-07 for the West Australian pastoralist Samuel P McKay. It was designed by Rodney Alsop in 1906.
- It is a two-storey red brick example of the English vernacular style with some reference to the Queen Anne style.
- Amongst his subsequent achievements were the T & G Buildings in Melbourne and elsewhere in Australia and New Zealand and the Hackett Memorial Building of the University of Western Australia.
3802 GEELONG ROAD STOCKYARD HILL, Pyrenees Shire
Alexander Russell died in 1869 and his son Philip Russell inherited Mawallok. Phillip Russell, and then from 1932 his son Alex Russell (1892-1961), were responsible for major changes at Mawallok.
- In 1907-08 the Arts and Crafts homestead was built to a design prepared by architects Klingender and Alsop, and the garden laid out to a plan prepared by William Guilfoyle, Director of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens in 1909.
The large house was constructed in reinforced concrete, an early use of this material for a domestic residence. It has an asymmetrical composition with a dominant steep roof form featuring gables, gabled dormers and tall chimneys.
- The interior includes notable elements such as the handsome Arts and Crafts inspired timber staircase leading to a timber-balustraded upstairs gallery which overlooks the large living space below. Around 1927 the Melbourne engineer and World War I General Sir John Monash was commissioned to extend a small dam into a 22 acre lake. The pump house and a small shed were built in similar materials and style to the 1908 house.
- The raised terrace of the house looks across the sweep of lawn and lake to the distant vista of the Pyrenees Ranges and Mt Cole.
- “Magnificent character home, ocean views“Auction: Monday 22nd October 2012 @ 6pm
“One of Randwick’s most impressive character homes, ‘Amberwood’ is a grand 1920s residence set on a vast 1377sqm parcel of land just footsteps from Randwick Junction. Capturing sweeping ocean views from its elevated vantage point, this classic home is blessed with abundant entertaining space, grand proportions, lovely traditional features and further potential.
- “STEP through the once-gilt driveway gates of the Amberwood Estate and prepare for a trip down memory lane.
- “Such is the grandeur and quality build of this 1921 Federation home, it seems like time has stood still.
- “As the footpath curves around the house to the triple-panelled timber and glass front doors, you get the first glimpses of its fine features that include a leadlight bay window set in striking blue brick.”
- The entry hall is a testament to superior craftmanship and bevelled glass doors on two sides disappear into the hardwood joinery to reveal two rooms equally as impressive as each other.
- To the right is the enormous formal lounge with timber-panelled walls and built-in cabinetry.
- A bay seat framed by leadlight windows looks out to a postcard view of the ocean.
- On the other side of the hall is a grand games room, big enough to house a full size billiards table.
- Beyond the front hall frosted french doors open and the hallway continues.
- A formal dining room with open fireplace connects to the east-facing sunroom set with original sandstone walls and picture windows looking to the ocean.
- Further living space is found on the upper level where the striking timber-vaulted ceiling looms high and features four skylights.
- A matching wooden bar is perfect for serving after dinner drinks and a quirky touch comes via the model railway track that disappears behind the wall.
- A built-in study is tucked into the corner and a private bedroom with claw bath ensuite is off this big room.
- In the rear garden a separate two-storey building with ocean views is unrenovated but can be configured to suit tastes.
- The home sits on a 1377sqm block and includes an established front garden and rockery.
- A home built as structurally sound as this requires only minor modification.
- 5 Bedrooms, 3.5 Bathrooms, 5 Parking
- Huge whole-floor master suite with study, WIR
- Grand lounge with gas fire, formal dining, sunroom
- Billiard room /home theatre, dine-in gas kitchen
- Partially completed guesthouse/office with views
- High ornate ceilings, leadlighting, timber panelling
- DLUG, driveway parking, sprawling grassed garden
284 Skinners Shoot Road, Byron Bay NSW 2481, Australia
$5 million-plus when expressions of interest close October 31, 2012
Read more: Historic $4.5m+ Byron bungalow Weekend Australian Magazine August 12th, 2017
|Korellah, Byron Bay Arts and Crafts Bungalow, for sale at $4.5 milion|
“Historic Byron Bay farmhouse Koreelah, which was built in 1905, has been developed into a holiday retreat and is listed for sale.
“Commercial property investors James Dawson and Anthony Pangallo are selling Koreelah, their five-bedroom 1905 Byron Bay hinterland farmhouse.”
- It’s an original Arts and Crafts-style house nestled on the hill below St Helena at Skinners Shoot.
- All its rooms home featuring mahogany and teak floors and rosewood detailed ceilings open onto verandas.
- The location was first settled in 1890, with the 1905 house trading for the only time in 1998 when bought from the original owners, the Raywards, one of Byron’s oldest families .
- It had a sympathetic renovation to make it all quite luxurious.
“This magnificent home sits nestled on the hill below St Helena at Skinners Shoot and offers majestic views to the north over the surrounding countryside. Sitting on 10 acres of what used to be a 110 acre property (which could be incorporated into the sale), the land is very gently sloping and features an array of fruit trees, hoop pines and various established natives.
“Originally owned by Raywards, one of Byron’s oldest families, Koreelah has only ever had one other owner since. The home was originally built in 1905 and, whilst its original character has been maintained, it has been substantially renovated to allow for all of the necessary modern day conveniences.
“A large stone fireplace is the central feature of a spacious open plan living area that overlooks the entertaining decks, the pizza oven and the pool. The kitchen is an entertainer’s delight with stainless steel benchtops, ample storage & a large oven. Bi-fold windows connect it to the deck and the views over the countryside will instantly relax.
“Four good–sized bedrooms share a large modern bathroom with double shower & vanity and an outdoor bath. The fifth bedroom has a small kitchenette with an indoor & outdoor seating area and beside it is the second bathroom for the home.
‘The home features Mahogany & Teak floors and Rosewood detailed ceilings as well as large stone pillars, window seats and wrap-around verandas. It has a wonderful feeling of space and is light-filled and instantly relaxing.
“Koreelah’s position allows it to take in the gentle sea breezes and the surrounding vegetation provides privacy and a wonderful country outlook. Located just 3 minutes drive, or a short bike ride from the main street of Byron Bay and its beautiful beaches this property combines the best of a hinterland setting right in the heart of Byron Bay.”
- There’s a pool in its two-hectare Skinners Shoot Road grounds.
- Its short stay rates are from $750 per night in the low season to $1,500 per night in the peak.
“Mandalay” – A Rare Beachside Estate, with Dual Titles
This rare and prized Palm Beach residence evokes a sense of grandeur and timeless elegance, nestled on two titles just moments to the foreshore of one of Sydney’s most iconic beaches.
- Opening the door to luxuriously fashioned living, the period features of the home shine through what is now a carefully considered and beautifully presented coastal residence.
- Seven double bedrooms, four with extended sitting/sun rooms, master with modern en suite bathroom
- Commercial, quality gourmet kitchen, architect-designed for large scale entertaining with stainless steel bench tops, dual appliances & dual ‘Ilve’ ovens
- Gracious formal lounge with open fireplace, casual living and billiard room
The merchant banker Jim Dominguez and his wife Suzanne have sold their Palm Beach weekender, Mandalay.
- It has been bought by the hedge fund trader Daniel Droga, founder of DCM Bluelake Partners, and his wife Lyndell.
- The Florida Road offering through LJ Hooker Palm Beach agent David Edwards and Peter Robinson secured $6.65 million. They initially were seeking a reported $8 million plus.
- Title Tattle suggests the property sale signifies the baton change at the pricey peninsula from merchant banking dominance to hedge fund traders, as now having the deeper pockets.
The merchant banking takeover of Palmie actually kicked off in 1988 when then Hunters Hill merchant banker Dominguez snapped up the double block for just $215,000. Jim Dominguez, then principal of Dominguez Barry Samuel Montagu, helped Sydney get its harbour tunnel.
- Enriched old-timers were departing the peninsula, which had quaint neighbourhood nicknames like Pill Hill because of the prevalence of Macquarie Street doctors.
- The injection of merchant banking buyers saw in 1990 the 2,200 square metre Moonrising property bought by Woollahra merchant banker Stephen Higgs for a record $3 million.
- Woollahra merchant banker Rob Barry and wife, Mary, then spent $2.2 million in 1992.
- Tehongi, on Florida Road, sold for $1.9 million to Mosman merchant banker Chris Roberts and wife, Frances, in 1993.
- Merchant banker Rob Rankin bought a property in 1995 for $852,500.
- Next came the wave of advertising industry types.
|66-68 Florida Road, Palm Beach, NSW 2108|
The first signs of hedge fund traders came around 2005 and 2006, but it was following the global financial crisis that hedge fund traders became a dominant force within the buyers highlighted in 2010 when hedge fund manager Paul Henry and his wife, Belinda paid $14 million for the Hayson family’s lavish modern residence on a 1575 square metre block in Pacific Road.
|66-68 Florida Road, Palm Beach, NSW 2108|
- Their prior Florida Road house had cost $4.1 million in 2006.
- Trevor Easterbrook, a hedge fund specialist in Hong Kong, and his wife, Nikki, paid $4.1 million in 2006 for the Priory at Palm Beach, but stayed only briefly.
- Expatriate hedge-fund operative Greg Coffey, the London spent $7.75 million on a Whale Beach weekender in 2006.
- In 2008 Tropique, a vacant 1,874-square-metre Ocean Road holding, was 2008’s coastal NSW top seller when sold after five decades’ ownership by the Deaton family for $12 million to the late John Morrison, who was the Zurich-based global chief executive of Man Investments.
- In 2009 John Balderstone, who was then at one of the world’s biggest hedge funds, Tudor Investment Corp, and his wife, Deb, the film producer who worked on Dirty Deeds, consolidated two adjoining waterfronts totalling 1,263 square metres on Barrenjoey Road following the departure of Dagmar O’Brien, who was among the first two female racers in the 1946 Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
- Ofcourse prior to the arrival of the hedge fund traders at Palm Beach, the term hedge referred to the buxus kind, often attracting headlines when neighbours installed the fast-growing, view-blocking plants causing many a neighbourly relationship to sour.
The Dominguez’s aren’t actually leaving Palmie for good, just downsizing to an apartment instead in the Winten complex.
|66-68 Florida Road, Palm Beach, NSW 2108|