Craignairn, 37 Burns Road, Wahroonga NSW
- See also Wahroonga NSW Heritage
|Craignairn (1909) 37 Burns Road (Corner of Cleveland Street)|
- Craignairn, in Burns Road, was also designed in the Arts and Crafts style by Howard Joseland for Walter Strang.
- ‘Craignairn’ is a substantial Inter-War period house constructed in 1908-1909 and
- reconstructed in 1937, following a fire, to virtually its original configuration and appearance.
- The building is located in the centre of a large site in a prominent location in Wahroonga NSW.
|Craignairn, 37 Burns Road, Wahroonga NSW|
A magnificent estate set on 7,100 sq metres of level grounds and rolling lawns, “Craignairn” rests in a prized Blue Ribbon East side position just a short stroll to leading schools, rail and village shops.
- Full size championship tennis court, swimming pool and pool-side cabana
- Glorious mansion exquisitely restored and extended offering world class living
- High ceilings, open fire places, polished floors and generous formal and informal entertaining areas
- Six bedrooms (2 ensuites), 4 bathrooms plus 2 powder rooms. Master suite with walk-in robes, sumptuous ensuite bathroom and North facing balcony
- Amazing entry foyer with sweeping staircase
- Grand reception room with open fire place and banquet dining room
- Sleek gourmet kitchen with breakfast bar and leading appliances
- Huge family room with north-facing wraparound verandah
- Full size billiard room/ games room ideal for entertaining
- Custom made wine cellar
- Separate 3 room guest house with teenage retreat, kitchen and bathroom
- 3 car garage plus multiple guest parking
- Auto front gates, security alarm, C bus wiring, reverse cycle air conditioning, central heating plus many fine inclusions
- One of the North Shore’s finest and most exclusive estates!
- Craignairn, named after a house in Scotland, is a major domestic architectural work by Howard Joseland.
- It was built in 1909, and, after a fire in 1937, it was faithfully reconstructed by architect Geoffrey Loveridge.
- Craignairn is a substantial 2-storey Edwardian house in the Federation/Arts and Crafts style. It is visually remarkable for its attractive face brickwork and dramatic stone dressings.
- The original owner, Walter Symington Strang, a merchant, and his wife, Evelyn Clara Mills, who founded the first woman’s Missionary Association and was a prominent member of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union, were instrumental in establishing the St John’s Church, Wahroonga.
- Later family owners extended kitchen gardens to the south of the house (now subdivided by the original family in 2003). The produce from these gardens supplied Neringah Hospital, in Wahroonga, during WWII. The property has gone through extensive restoration by the current owners since 2007.
- Craignairn ownership remained within the same family from 1909 to 2003.
- The house was originally built in brick and stone with timbered gables and stuccoed chimneys; the balconies and roof were originally covered with oak shingles, now replaced with terracotta tiles.
- In 1937 the shingle roof caught fire. The house was totally rebuilt within the same year, with only minor alterations to the original design. These alterations were the modernisation of the kitchen, converting the central servants bedroom into another balcony, the conversion of the storeroom into two bedrooms, the conversion of the schoolroom into a bedroom, and the enlargement of the two upstairs bedrooms.
- Joseland and Vernon were also commissioned to design the garden of 2.5 acres. In common with a number of other landmark properties in the area the large garden and large setbacks are integral to the original design concept.
- In 2001 Craignairn was the subject an attempted SEPP5 development for 21 apartments but thanks to the active involvement of many local residents and the council, the property was saved, although not before a lot of time and money was spent at the Land & Environment Court. (Judgement delivered in March 2002)
- A Development Application lodged with Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council proposed the erection of several residential buildings clustered around the original house. Council refused the Application on the basis that the proposal would have an adverse impact on the heritage significance of ‘Craignairn’ and because of the inappropriate character of the multi-dwelling forms within the streetscape. GML Partner, David Logan, was asked by Council’s solicitors to give heritage evidence in the Land and Environment Court proceedings.
Location: Wahroonga, NSW –
- 37 //Burns Road Wahroonga// NSW 2076 – homehound.com.au