Federation architecture refers to the architectural style of Australian homes built around the decades before and after 1900 AD. This site is a backup to Federation-Home.Wikispaces.com, which is closing down in 2018. The new Federation-House.com site links to these blogs
Late 19th or early 20th Century period of construction
83 Darley Road, Filigree Federation style
Two story Melbourne terrace houses homes with iron filigree
Kianga – Vaucluse Federation House
Federation Filigree Bungalow at127 Henty Street Casterton Vic
27 Museum Street, Perth, WA
Federation Filigree was designed to create shade while allowing for the free flow of air. They have:
balconies screened with decorative balustrading
cast-iron (later: timber) balustrades and brackets
(used) common verandah posts, panels, friezes and brackets, which were manufactured products made in Australia,
Conflcting styles of filigree lattice
Before 1901 each verandah and balcony is screened with decorative cast-iron balustrading, comprising common cast-iron panels, friezes and brackets .
The cast-iron treatment gives the terrace a light filigree character. The design is representative of a style of building, in which the Victorian fashion of cast-iron balustrades and brackets were the norm.
The start of the Federation period marked a decline in the use of cast iron for structural and ornamental components of verandas (see Victorian Filigree) and a marked growth in the use of wood for these components. Cast iron did in fact survive into the early twentieth century, by which time it had come to be regarded as rather old-fashioned.
Boronia house is a grand NSW Victorian Filigree mansion which was built in Mosman, Sydney in 1885
Timber posts, balustrades, brackets and valances had a chunkier quality than their counterparts in cast iron, but the ‘filigree screen’ effect could still be obtained, especially when lattice made of light wooden laths was used together with the more substantial turned or sawn components. – Sydney Architecture.com
Monterey Federation Apartments at 1 Avenue Road MOSMAN
The Two-storey verandahed ‘pub’
A building type that maintained the popularity it had enjoyed in the Victorian periodwas the two-storey verandahed pub (public bar), often strategically located on a street corner in a suburb or country town.
Many such pubs display sufficient iron or timber screening on their verandas to qualify them for the Federation Filigree style.
It is not by chance that the finest examples of Federation Filigree domestic architecture are to be found in the hot, humid, coastal areas of Queensland.
The valances, balustrades and latticework which screen the verandas of so many houses are not only highly decorative but also eminently functional, providing shade while allowing for the flow of air which is so essential for comfort in this climate.
Childers Qld, examples of Federation Filigree
Childers RSLA Club, Designer Name Cowlishaw, James Percy Owen
Childers RSLA Club QLD built 1900 – 1909, formerly CBC Bank with Manager Home above
This is one of the most spectacular timber houses in Brisbane. It is perched on the side of Hamilton hill with views across the Brisbane River and beyond. The house was built circa 1905 for JD O’Connor of the eminent publican family. The design was from Sydney-trained but Queensland-owned firm Eaton & Bates, who favoured pavilions and deep verandahs, both extremely suitable for our sub-tropical climate, and both are used extensively in Cremorne.
“The house is almost L-shaped in plan, and has a corrugated iron roof which is a complex of hips, gables, ridges and pavilions, with decorative gablets and finials, and three brick chimneys.The open verandahs all have simple timber balustrading and timber frieze.”
….Apparently the interior is just as grand as the outside. Pressed metal ceilings and stained glass windows are present, fireplaces with marble surrounds in some rooms, as well as timber arches in many entrances.
Three generation of the O’Connor family lived here until the property was sold in the 1990s.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #80451)
This photograph was taken in around 1906 and gives an idea of the extensive views – the Brisbane River is in the background.
JD O’Connor and his brother Denis owned or had interests in hotels throughout Brisbane, among them the Wickham, the Treasury and the Prince Consort.
Miegunyah House 35 Jordan Terrace, Bowen Hills QLD
Miegunyah House Museum. home of The Queensland Women’s Historical Association.
“Fairy Knoll” possesses strong aesthetic value due to its prominence as a landmark in Ipswich which has dominant visual impact on the surrounding area and for its fine detailing and composition.
The residence is characteristic of the ‘Federation Filigree’ style of architecture which is demonstrated by its intricate timber screen, its slender columns of timber dividing the facade into bays, a timber frieze and brackets and timber railings.
Its decorative external brickwork also contributes to its aesthetic value. Its setting on a large piece of land with gardens and mature trees is also of important aesthetic significance.
Fairy Knoll for sale
28th August 2010 2:00 AM
Fairy Knoll SW View
Fairy Knoll – a grand, two-storey, brick, federation-era mansion on a hill in Eastern Heights – is a heritage landmark.
Known in recent years as the Jefferis Turner Centre, Fairy Knoll has served the citizens of Ipswich well, as a home for a wealthy family, a maternal and child welfare centre and a respite centre for children with intellectual disabilities.
Now the property is for sale, inquiries have come in from investors wanting to convert the building into a guesthouse or restaurant, as well as a splendid residence.
Mr Costello said the home had stood unused for about four years.
Fairy Knoll is a good example of the work of prominent Ipswich architect George Brockwell Gill.
It was built by timber merchant Thomas Hancock, who never lived to see it completed, at a cost of 2000 pounds.
The newly finished house was described inThe Queensland Timesin March 1901.
Fairy Knoll is a grand and imposing, two-storey, easterly-facing residence, on an elevated area bounded by Chermside, Robertson and Whitehill roads.It has expansive views from its surrounding verandahs, and it overlooks the south-eastern area of Queens Park. It has a brick core which is wrapped by decorative timber verandahs, the detailing of which creates patterns of light and dark, and is typical of Queensland Federation era architecture.The structure has a corrugated iron, pyramid roof, with a lantern at its apex. The lantern lights the home’s central stairwell. The upper level verandah has separate corrugated iron roofing. At this level, a gable and pediment, with finial, define the main entry.The polychromatic brickwork was described in The Queensland Times in 1901 as ‘dark-coloured buff facing brick, relieved at the angle quoins and quoins of window and door openings with light-coloured bricks. The arches are finished with a dark brick, tuck-pointed, and the strings with bricks similar to the quoins.” There is a ground floor extension to the rear of the house.