Kardinia, 28 Darling Point Road Darling Point NSW
[Previous Post: Charltons, Federal NSW … Next Post: Drummoyne Federation]
- See also Darling Point NSW Heritage
- See also Federation Queen Anne style
- See also Gothic Queen Anne style
Heritage listed by Heritage NSW (Duplex c.1950 – conversion to two flats)1952 – Alterations and additions
1964 – Alterations and additions
The site is part of a 15 acre grant by Governor Brisbane to his astronomer, James Dunlop in the mid 1830s. Dunlop did not build on the land. In 1841 he sold it to Thomas Ware Smart who, a year later, built the house known as Mona which still exists at 38 Mona Road.
|St Mark’s Darling Point|
Rectory, St Mark’s
- The Mona Estate was subdivided in the 1880s, with Mona Road providing ccess from Darling Point Road, and lots on its eastern side offered for sale. This subdivision does not appear to have proceeded.
- The land was resubdivided in 1904 with Mona Road taking a substantially different alignment and connecting with both New South Head Road and Darling Point Road.
- The house was built c.1910 on an allotment created by resubdivision of lots 44 and 45 in that subdivision and converted to two flats c.1950.
- Forms part of a distinctive streetscape which includes St Marks Church and Manse and houses at Nos 3 and 5 St Mark’s ChurchGreenoaks Avenue and the large Port Jackson fig street trees in Mona Road and trees within the site.
This building is a good example of a Federation Queen Anne style house and demonstrates important characteristics of the style and a range of characteristic formal and decorative elements and finishes.
- These include the informal picturesque composition of projecting square and facetted wings, gables, bays, verandahs and other elements, which deals particularly well with the house’s prominent corner site, the semi-octagonal corner bay with its pyramidal ‘candle snuffer’ roof and the large two storey verandah with turned posts and arched verandah beams facing Mona Road with its projecting gable roofed ground floor verandah.
- They also include decorative elements such as half timbering and stucco in the gable ends, some with decorative renderwork which is also used under the eaves on the semi-octagonal bay at the northern end of the building, curved timber brackets supporting the ends of gables over bays, timber sill brackets and the semicircular rusticated sandstone arch supported by dressed sandstone pilasters flanking the entrance porch.
- Despite the apparent informality of the design, when viewed from the front porch of St Marks Church the house (although now largely obscured by trees) is symmetrical centred on the semi-octagonal projecting bay and the conical roof, leading to speculation that the buildings were in some way related.
- The garden appears to retain a great deal of its early layout and features, including a number of very large significant trees, asphalt paths and paved areas with brick edging, crazy paving to a terrace at the north of the house and to another area to the southeast of the house, bush rock terracing and edging to garden beds and other plantings. Two very large trees in the section of the garden to the north of the house are notable, including one Morton Bay Fig. Together with very large Port Jackson Fig street trees in the vicinity, these give the corner a distinctive landmark quality but largely obscure the house from this viewpoint.
- The house forms part of a group with St Marks Church and its Manse and houses at Nos 3 and 5 Greenoaks Avenue, together with street trees and trees within the site which give the locality its distinctive landscape character. The building is a significant component of the distinctive streetscape of the locality.
- INSPECT BY APPOINTMENT SAT & WED 1.00-1.45PM
“One of Darling Point’s most historic and significant landholdings, ‘Kardinia’ (1908) is a substantial Queen Anne style “Federation home privately set on a 1,024sqm (approx) parcel of land (with additional access from Mona Road).
- One of the few remaining freestanding houses in Darling Point, it’s been meticulously restored to its former grandeur and lovingly transformed for contemporary living, boasting grand proportions and traditional features.
- It’s framed by beautiful William Dangar designed gardens incorporating a gas-heated pool with a waterfall, a bar, gas barbeque, towering trees and shady terrace areas with an outdoor shower and bathroom.
- The three-level residence contains four large bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms, including an impressive master suite with a marble spa ensuite and dressing room.
- Abundant living space includes magnificent formal lounge and dining rooms, an elegant office, a glass-embraced conservatory and a TV room. At the heart of the home, a casual meals area encompasses a sophisticated Calacatta marble Miele island kitchen.
- Classic details such as soaring plaster ceilings, timber floors, leadlight windows and ornate doors add enormous appeal.
- Additional features include gas and wood-burning fires, a large pantry, plantation shutters, a workshop, 2500 bottle wine cellar with a tasting table, a basement library, an attic, two rainwater tanks, a double garage and additional parking for three cars.
- Council: $3,186.52 pa. Water: $696 pa,
- By Expressions of Interest
- Last Sold $4,100,000 in Jul 2004
- Sold $600,000 in Apr 2000
- Land size: 1,024 sqm
- ^ http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=2711207
- ^ http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-darling+point-115048467
- ^ http://house.ksou.cn/p.php?q=Darling+Point&sta=nsw&id=686805