The Charming Federation Housing of Drummoyne NSW
25 Drummoyne Avenue
23 Drummoyne Avenue
50 Day Street Drummoyne
Drummoyne sits on the peninsula between Iron Cove and Five Dock Bay. It is surrounded on three sides by Sydney Harbour and the Parramatta River and, as such, has some of Sydney’s best waterfront views. Drummoyne neighbours the similarly historic Five Dock and Abbotsford.
- Drummoyne was originally part of a land grant to Colonial Surgeon John Harris. In 1841 part of that grant between Thompson and Millar Streets was subdivided and advertised as “40 minutes row from Sydney”.
- In 1853, William Wright bought a large chunk of the subdivision and called it “ Drummoyne” after his family home in Scotland.
- William Wright was a merchant, whaler and sealer who bought land in the northern part of the area in 1853. The property was bounded by present day Lyons Road and Victoria Road.[3
- Drummoyne House was built in the Georgian Classical style. It was rectangular in plan with a hipped roof with a concave verandah across the entire front and returned along each side.[3
- He named it Drummoyne Park after his family home at Drummoyne on Clyde in Scotland. In Gaelic, Drummoyne means flat topped ridge.4
The area remained a long row from the city until the 1880’s when construction of the Iron Cove and Gladesville bridges, and the arrival of the tram, caused a boom. Drummoyne’s new ease of access to the city, and its sublime siting by the harbour swiftly made it a desirable address.
- Drummoyne is linked to Rozelle by the Victoria Road and Huntleys Point by the Gladesville Bridge. Victoria Road, one of Sydney’s busiest roads, cuts through the heart of Drummoyne en route to the Sydney CBD.
- Victoria Road’s presence makes the CBD transport hub extremely accessible, as numerous and frequent bus routes from Sydney’s west merge in Drummoyne. However, it also leads to a bottleneck during the morning and evening peaks.
Real Estate & Design
The last few decades have seen many of the fine old homes, particularly on the waterfront, torn down and replaced with modern apartments and townhouses. Luckily some of substantial old Victoria and Edwardian homes remain, along with the smaller semi detached houses that were built in the earlier part of the 20th century.
Waterfront Drummoyne property the week’s most expensive sale
42 Drummoyne Avenue Drummoyne NSW:
|42 Drummoyne Avenue, DRUMMOYNE, NSW, 2047, Sold for $3,8m Oct 2013|
But the neighbouring house, on the right, went for $4million (see No 44 Drummoyne Avenue below)
A five-bedroom waterfront property on Drummoyne Avenue with it’s own pontoon and slipway was the week’s most expensive sale, selling at auction for $3.833 million, according to RP Data.
- Situated on 1,242 square metres and only six kilometers from the Sydney CBD in Drummoyne, the property features an indoor spa room that leads to an outdoor pool and garden.
- The property was initially listed in 2009 for $4.9 million.
- It last traded in February 2001 for $2 million, after being listed for $2.2 million.
23 Drummoyne Avenue, Drummoyne NSW
- Open plan family living and dining room
- Magnificent ornate ceilings & fireplaces
- Wrap around front verandah w’ waterviews
- Grand and spacious formal living & dining rooms
- Elevated 700sqm land on the high side of street
- Prestigious & highly sought Drummoyne East location
- Outstanding family home with period features
- Walk to city ferry, Drummoyne village and buses
Sold for $1,672,000 in 10 Dec 2011 (at Auction); Last Sold for $1,520,000 in Nov 2008
25 Drummoyne Avenue, DRUMMOYNE NSW
The best Federation house in Drummoyne was advertised without written description, but with four scenic tours!
Virtual Tours of 25 Drummoyne Avenue, DRUMMOYNE NSW
|Click on pictures for larger view:|
|Ornate ceiling with Australian floral motifs, beautiful Art Nouveau leadlight, and polished floorboards. Superb presentation.|
|Beautiful Art Nouveau arch, ornate ceilings, leadlight, floorboards, picture rails: edwardian white interior. A lot to love!|
|An exquisitely renovated kitchen with many original features, especially the floor, stove and plate display|
44 Drummoyne Avenue Drummoyne NSW
‘Tobique’ built about 1909.
One of a few grand, surviving Federation mansions built on the foreshore. Special local historical interest. Associated with a noted marine engineer Harry P. Young for whom the house was built and whose family lived in the house until the late twentieth century.
An outstanding example of a better quality Federation style suburban house which, because it is completely unchanged in both form and detail, internally and externally, is extremely rare. It stands in an early twentieth century garden in a fine position overlooking the Parramatta River.
“Absolute deep waterfront with easy, level access to superb marine facilities, this magnificently restored substantial Federation residence resides majestically on 1473sqm of land commanding breathtaking views”.
|42 and 44 Drummoyne avenue, aerial view looking South|
|Here we see a Victorian arch and a Victorian fireplace, but Art Nouveau leadlight in the door set.|
|The gothic coloured glass panels and Art Nouveau fireplace are great features|
50 Day Street Drummoyne NSW
Prominently located yet ultra-quiet and private, the focus of this large refurbished period home includes multiple formal or casual living areas, light filled open plan kitchen with the flexibility of a parents retreat on the top floor with stunning city skyline and bay views. On the ground floor, three large rooms and separate entry is ideal for teenager’s space, in-law accommodation, and /or work at home opportunities.
Featuring classical symmetry and a stunning facade, the home is not only central in location (opposite Brett park), but handy to buses, ferries for immediate CBD access, Birkenhead and the bay run.
7 Gipps Street Drummoyne NSW
“Gillendoon” Bayside Granduer with views on 690m2 of land
Built c1910 on a rare 690sqm parcel of land, the gracious ‘Gillendoon’ enjoys a commanding elevated setting affording stunning views over Iron Cove to the city skyline. Positioned at the bayside end of one of the area’s best streets, a stone’s throw to Gipps Street Reserve and the famed Bay Run, it features an impressive 16m plus street frontage and extra wide side driveway. Blending classical charm with contemporary comfort, the interiors are graced with a wealth of refined original features and incorporate a spacious architect-designed extension and upper level ideal as a teen retreat.
41 Wrights Road Drummoyne
A very fine set of apartments in Bungalow style, (not Art Deco at all!)  An entire block of four gracious and character-filled apartments, offered for sale in one line. Each updated semi-style captures leafy glimpses out over Drummoyne Bay and is graced with original period features making them highly attractive rental prospects. Along with a private entry and front and rear verandahs, each features double parking and access to a huge common grassed garden.
40 Tranmere Street DRUMMOYNE
A Federation House with Victorian decorative interiors:
“With high hedgerows and imposing presence, this meticulously renovated Federation home on a generous 763sqm corner block is a masterpiece of restored period styling with today’s comforts, located in an attractive tree-lined street.”
2 Wrights Road, Drummoyne, NSW 2047
One of Drummoyne’s landmark properties:
‘A landmark residence of style and distinction’
For Sale around $1,800,000 Sold by Private Treaty for $1,630,000
“Combining position, elegance and a rare historic beauty, this majestic 1900s Federation residence is one of Drummoyne’s landmark properties and a refined home of distinction. It makes an exceptional home and creates a lasting impression with grand proportions, traditional features and stylish modern improvements.”
8 Cambridge Road, Drummoyne, NSW
For Sale, Price guide over $775,000 Auction: Sat 18-Aug-12 9:00AM
“Traditional style blending old and modern”
“A character home of style and charm, this generous Federation residence is a shining example of immaculately retained period details and sophisticated modern design. It provides a very relaxed and spacious family home in a great harbourside location.