Turramurra Federation Heritage Homes
[Previous post: Carinya, Pymble Next post: Clovelly Beach Federation]
“The name Turramurra was adopted when the railway station was built in 1890.
- One of the early local landmarks was Ingleholme, a two-storey Federation home in Boomerang Street. It was designed by John Sulman (1849–1934) as his own home and built circa 1896. The house was part of the Presbyterian Ladies College (now the Pymble Ladies’ College) until 1977 and is now on the Register of the National Estate. It is notable as an example of John Sulman’s style.”
- See the post Ingleholme, Turramurra
In Ku-ring-gai the main housing growth period was after the North Shore Railway was opened in 1890 and between World War 1 and World War 2.
Significant Heritage areas of Turramurra listed on the Register of the National Estate include:
- Urban Conservation Area 20 – Ku-ring-gai Avenue, Turramurra
The Ku-ring-gai Avenue, Turramurra Urban Conservation Area provides an excellent townscape comprised of mainly two storey mansions dating from the 1890 and set in well established gardens. There is a fine collection of street tree plantings including Brush Box. The streetscapes are strongly characterised by fine fences.
“This area contains a predominance of fine substantial 2 storey late 19th century and Federation period mansions, the majority in the Federation Queen Anne style, on large lots with large gardens, interspersed with a smaller number of later 1 and 2 storey houses. The overall visual impact of the area is as high-quality Federation period streetscapes, including Federation period street tree planting.
“Ku-ring-gai Avenue derives its fine aesthetic qualities from its collection of grand Federation period residences set in generous and well-proportioned garden settings which blend into the mature brush box avenue street tree planting. Many of these residences were designed by prominent Sydney architects, including Thomas Frame Cosh (of Slatyer & Cosh, Spain & Cosh), Arthur Stanton Cook, G.M. Pitt junior, Robertson & Marks and Sir John Sulman.
“The Avenue is also of historical and social significance for its association with the important artist Grace Cossington Smith, whose works were inspired by her home and its setting; and for its association with prestigious and influential early residents including the Penfold family (stationers) and many of Sydney’s most prominent early twentieth century architects, including Charles Slatyer, Thomas Frame Cosh, John
Spencer Stansfield, Sir John Sulman and Arthur Stanton Cook.”
– from HCA 20 – KU-RING-GAI AVENUE, TURRAMURRA
Table of Contents
- Bobbin Head Road Conservation Precinct Turramurra, NSW, Australia
The Ku-ring-gai Urban Conservation Area (Bobbin Head Road, Turramurra Precinct) consists of an area of single-storey and double storey 1920s, 1930s and 1940s houses. The uniform appearance of the area stems from its well established landscape.
- Challis Avenue Urban Conservation Precinct Turramurra, NSW, Australia
The Ku-ring-gai Urban Conservation Area (Challis Avenue, Turramurra Precinct) consists of an area of single-storey1920s and 1930s bungalows. The uniform appearance of the area stems from its well established landscape. Housing in the area consists predominately of houses on medium to largesized lots. There are few unsympathetic alterations or intrusions into the area.
- Ingleholme and Grounds 17-23 Boomerang St Turramurra, NSW, Australia
- Kissing Point Road Urban Conservation Precinct Turramurra, NSW, Australia
The Ku-ring-gai Urban Conservation Area (Kissing Point Road, Turramurra Precinct) consists of an area of single-storey 1920s and 1930s bungalows. The uniform appearance of the area stems from its well established landscape.
- This above information from: Urban Conservation Areas Statement of Significance & Statement of Character – http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/resources/documents/DCP55_APR06_App_C.pdf
Significant Federation Homes in Turramurra are:
- Bellhaven 55 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Boongala 28 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Cheppywood 61 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Cossington 43 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Creighton 31 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Egelabra 70 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Erahor 54 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- The Grange, 73 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Highfield 51 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Illanscourt 37 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- 44 Ku-ring-gai AvenueTurramurra
- 1 Ku-ring-gai AvenueTurramurra
- Mildura 8 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Shalimar 12 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Shalimar 26 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Talagon 77 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- The Terricks, 60 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Trelawney 25 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Wychwood 17 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
- Ypriana (also known as Newstead) 34 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
Wychwood, 17 Ku-ring-gai Avenue, TURRAMURRA NSW
“Palatial residence, circa 1901, positioned on 1,948 sq m of lovely grounds.
“Renowned and admired for over 10 decades as one of the most important houses in Ku-ring-gai, this magnificent family home boasts an elegant blend of period charm and modern open plan living. The design for the building was commissioned by wealthy merchants George and Maria McFarlane, engaging acclaimed architects Robertson & Marks.”
- “Nestled amongst beautiful and private established gardens (auto irrigation) featuring a brick paved circular driveway with water feature as a showpiece in the centre, this stately full brick and sandstone residence is moments to Turramurra rail, local shopping village, cafs, restaurants and leading schools.
- “Features include entry porch framed by a magnificent sculpted sandstone arch,
- formal foyer with original features including soaring patterned 12′ foot ceilings,
- absolutely magnificent stained glass windows,
- timber floors and impressive detailed balustrades on the grand split staircase,
- a formal lounge with open fire, dining room for 10 or more and gentleman’s billiard room complete with full wet bar.
- A fabulous library/study with floor to ceiling bookshelves opens to the verandah and gardens.
- The modern gourmet kitchen with granite/caesarstone benchtops, quality Ilve, Miele aplliances and large walk in pantry is well appointed, ideally adjacent to the large family room and informal dining with an amazing two storey high ceiling ceiling opening out to the large, airy verandah.
- “Seven bedrooms, the principal four of which are oversized, all with built-ins, two with ensuites. The master bedroom offers generous walk in his and hers’ robes and light filled ensuite. The smaller bedrooms upstairs are ideal for hobbies, sewing etc A bedroom located at the top of the butlers stairs is possibly suited to in-laws or nanny’s quarters and an additional self contained flat on the lower ground floor with kitchenette and bathroom. Located on the lower level, you will be captivated by the magnificent cellar (1500 bottles) with room to seat 10 or more in grand style. Adjacent to the pool and is an intimate Loggia, fabulous for relaxed entertaining, a sauna and cool room.
“Extra features of the property include a large garage (up to four cars), additional off-street parking on the driveway, back to base security system, ducted underfloor gas heating, gas heated spa.
“A truly beautiful home built to a scale rarely seen in today’s architecture.
Property Sold History
12/11/2002 Notified Sale (Normal Sale) Residence $2,100,000
Auction 20th June 2012 Buyers guide: More than $2,800,000 Will Be Sold
56 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra 2074 NSW
Creighton 31 Ku-ring-gai Avenue Turramurra
54 Ku-ring-gai Avenue, Turramurra, NSW
Grand Family Home….East Side Walk To Rail
“Offered to the rental market for the first time, this magnificent property represents the epitome of grandeur and elegance. The scale of this home is instantly impressive and offers immense living area for any family.
“Featuring a stunning entrance foyer with a cathedral-like stained glass ceiling, grand formal lounge/ formal dining/,study, multiple living areas, classic island kitchen with Miele/Ilve appliances including refrigerator. Accommodation over 3 levels comprises 4/5 bedrooms ( all with built-in wardrobes, main with dressing room and ensuite), lower level rumpus room leading out to a sun drenched in-ground pool (maintenance included), indoor spa, sauna and entertaining terrace.
“Separate fully self contained in law or guest accommodation/teenagers retreat/ ducted heating & cooling (lower level), alarmed, jet master fireplace, double lock-up garage + additional off street parking for 2/3 cars
2 Nulla Nulla Street Turramurra
For Sale $2,795,000
“Set amidst over half an acre of landscaped grounds, this beautiful character home has been sympathetically renovated and extended to the finest of standards.
- “Sought After East Side Location, this is a rare opportunity to acquire a home in one of the most desirable streets in Turramurra.
- “Located within a short walk of Turramurra Station, shops and exclusive schools.
- “A post-Federation house with five bedrooms, a pool and tennis court at 2 Nulla Nulla Street, Turramurra, on a 2250-square-metre block, sold for $2.7 million last month, $575,000 less than it sold for 11 years ago.
- “2 Nulla Nulla Street sold for $2.7 million in March, but in 2001 the Turramurra property traded at $3,275,000.
- “IN 1989 house prices on the upper north shore were among the highest in Sydney, outstripping most of the lower north, inner west and parts of the east. Australian Property Monitors figures show that in the past decade the upper north shore, which extends up the train line from Roseville, has had the lowest median growth of any Sydney region apart from the northern beaches.
– Antony Lawes, April 14, 2012
- Five generously sized bedrooms, main with walk in robe and ensuite
- 3.5 bathrooms
- Spacious and practical casual entertaining with generous family room and meals area enjoying stunning timber windows, bi fold doors and the warmth of a gas fireplace
- Beautiful formal lounge and dining rooms
- Double lock-up garage with internal access
- Study, cellar, billiard room/rumpus, reverse cycle A/C
- Beautiful high ceilings, cornices and skirting boards throughout
- Championship sized north-south tennis court
- Fully tiled swimming pool, bathed in northern sunlight
- Full documentation and flexible purchasing conditions will be offered to prospective purchasers
Definite seller is downsizing and requires an immediate sale!
- Property Type: House
- Construction: Double Brick
- Land Area: 2,251 m2
- Features: Alarm Balcony Cellar Close to Transport Established Gardens Family Room Granite Benches
Internal Access via Garage Landscaped Gardens Level Entry Powder Room Remote Control Garaging Renovated Storage