Federation styles and Toorak mansions
- “Toorak is still Melbourne’s most prestigious – and expensive – suburb” – Domain
“What makes it a better suburb is the tree-lined boulevards, the quality of housing, the streetscape in general is most attractive.”
Note: Not all these links will work after September 30, 2018. After that time the links will have to be rebuilt from this website (over time) – Sorry about that!
[Previous Post: Federation Styles Timeline 1915-1940 …. Next Post: Ardagh, Mosman Merchant Mansion]
|Edzell, St George’s Rd||Darnlee, Lansell Road||Glyn, Kooyong Road||Avalon, Power Avenue||Studley Apartments|
|Albany, Albany Road||8 Robertson Street, Toorak||606-608 Toorak Road||Albany Road, Toorak||Eulinya Irving Road, Toorak|
|Little Milton 26 Albany Road||Baillieu House, 729 Orrong Road||Cloyne, Toorak Road||3 Illawarra Crescent, Toorak||9 Ottawa Road, Toorak|
- For older Toorak mansions see the Miles Lewis lecture Mansions of Toorak – Miles Lewis
Table of Contents
- Illustrated Arts and Crafts lecture by Harriet Edquist
- Architects referenced: Reed Smart & Tappin , Architect Leonard J. Flannagan, Architect Rodney Alsop, Walter Butler, Muriel Stott, Harold Desbrowe-Annear, Architect Robert B. Hamilton, Architect Edward Billson, Architect CFA. Voysey, architectural firm Stephenson and Meldrum.
- Arts and Crafts
- Queen Anne, Gothic Queen Anne
- Federation Queen Anne Style
- Federation Arts and Crafts
- Interwar Arts and Crafts
- Interwar Georgian Revival
- Half-Timbered (Tudor Revival)
- See also page: Edzell House, Melbourne mansion; Australian Heritage Registered, Victorian Heritage Regsitered
- Architect: Reed Smart & Tappin
- Style illustrated: Queen Anne, but not Gothic. Decoration is quaintly called Elizabethan Revival more commonly called Tudor Revival, but Tudor describes half-timbered upper floors, while Edzell’s walls are definitely Queen Anne red brick. Chimney style is not Tudor at all.
|Edzell, built in 1892, is a heritage-protected mansion in the Queen Anne style with Elizabethan Revival gable decoration|
Property Observer – JONATHAN CHANCELLOR | 28 APRIL 2013:
- Andrew Abercrombie, the former chief executive of leasing company FlexiGroup, has bought the Toorak mansion, Edzell. He currently owns another riverfront elsewhere on St Georges Road having paid $14 million in 2007.
- The April 5 deal was struck with architect Michael Spivakovsky, who’d regained the house after the former television news presenter-turned-spin doctor Simone Semmens lost control of the property that she’d initially secured with vendor finance in late 2011.
The mansion is set on an elevated 6023-square-metre block on the Yarra River, and offers postcard river and city skyline views over Richmond.
- The architects who designed it were the highly respected Reed Smart & Tappin and on top of all of that, it was built for Melbourne mayor, James Cooper Stewart.
- Stewart had migrated from Edinburgh and built the Toorak mansion Edzell, named after the village in which he was born.
- There was no fear of mayor Stewart feeling cramped for room. Mrs Chapman said that Edzell’s driveway was what is now St George’s Road!
Historic Edzell House, an example of Melbourne grandeur
The heritage-protected mansion was built in 1892 with an 1895 ballroom extension.
- Dame Nellie Melba performed private concerts in the grand ballroom of the 30-plus room mansion. Read more….The house Dame Nellie sang in
- The property is listed on the register of the National Estate not just because of its association with Spivakovsky’s father and Dame Nellie Melba. The mansion’s age as well as its outstanding architecture make it a Melbourne icon.
Edzell was originally designed by the architects, Reed, Smart and Tappin in 1892 for James Cooper Stewart (1836-1919), a prominent Melbourne lawyer, Alderman of the Melbourne City Council and former Mayor (1885-86). The architect, Alfred Smart, was in charge of the design.
Edzell House, Toorak
- In 1917 the noted architect, Walter Richmond Butler, designed extensive but sympathetic external additions and a garden for the building’s new owner, George Russell. Butler laid out many gardens for the buildings he constructed, and these gardens were then ranked among one of that architect’s major landscaping works.
Subsequently, under the ownership of Mrs Rose Krantz, the architect Edward Billson, a prominent twentieth century architect, designed the subdivision of the interior in two maisonettes during 1935, and by 1947 it had been divided into six flats.
- This involved superficial internal alterations and a new stair. Billson was the first Australian pupil of Walter Burley Griffin and designed the splendid Sanitarium Factory buildings in Warburton (1936-39). His characteristic motif of a leaping deer is found on Edzell and some of the neighbouring buildings.
- In 1948 the house passed into the hands of the Spivakovsky family. The only alterations and additions carried out during this ownership was the installation of a new entrance and staircase in 1961.
- Architect Leonard J. Flannagan
- Style: Federation with Gothic turret
Darnlee, constructed c. 1899 by builder J. Gibb, was designed by architect Leonard J. Flannagan for Mr C. McIntyre. It was a private residence until the Second World War when it was used as a hostel for the WAAF. Subsequently Darnlee has been occupied by the Health Department, serving as a tuberculosis rehabilitation centre, and the Department of Education, and was converted into an aged care facility in the late 1990s. Darnlee is a finely detailed and essentially intact example of a Federation Queen Anne style residence.
- Darnlee, built in 1895, is significant as an excellent example of Melbourne’s Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. Architectural details of particular note include the conical tower clad with terra cotta shingles and decorative mouldings, the terra cotta roof tiles, crests and finials, front porch with timber columns, leadlights and encaustic tiled pavement and the decorative barge boards.
- Incorporated in the building is a conical tower clad with terra cotta shingles as well as decorative mouldings; terra cotta tiles clad the steep gable roofs which occur in profusion and are crowned with terra cotta cresting and finials.
- Of particular note is the use and execution of timber decorative and structural elements; the front gable is decoratively carved and heavy turned timber columns support the timber framing of the entrance porch.
- The entrance also retains its original leadlighting around the front door and the encaustic tile pavement. The residence remains largely externally intact.
Glyn is one of Australia’s grandest mansions, recognised as one of the most significant architectural examples of the Arts & Crafts movement.
- Heritage Listed by Stonnington City VHR H0735
- Nationally Significant 20th-Century Architecture
- One of the finest Arts and Crafts style houses in the country (Victorian Heritage Register No. H735)
- See also Architect Rodney Alsop
|Glyn, Arts and Crafts Mansion, at 224 Kooyong Road Toorak, Vic 3142|
Corporate adviser, Jane Stuchberry sold her restored six bedroom 1908 Toorak mansion, Glyn which was listed with $12 million plus hopes in May 2016.
Glyn was designed by architect Rodney Alsop in the arts and crafts style with gabled roofs, prominent eaves and artisan features.
- Cradled within 2420sqm/26,060sqft (approx.) resort style grounds with a floodlit Championship N/S tennis court and heated swimming pool. Glyn showcases the grandest of proportions, spectacular original elegance, superb contemporary liveability and expansive family dimensions.
- Craftsman built in 1908 by notable architect Rodney Alsop as a statement of wealth and prestige for financier, pastoralist and politician Sir Edward Miller, who was a founding shareholder in BHP
- The beautifully preserved interior highlights the artisan detail and decoration that makes the Arts & Craft movement so special, from the ornate timber work to the deep bay windows, inbuilt furniture, leadlight detail, fireplace furniture and carved woodwork using Australian native flora motifs.
- Sympathetically renovated, Glyn brilliantly merges its preserved original detail with stunning modern living and functionality.
- Glyn was designed in 1908 by the noted architect Rodney H. Alsop for Sir Edward Miller. The house was constructed in the Arts and Crafts idiom, finished with a distinctive render with pebbles pushed into the surface. This finish was complemented by a terracotta shingle roof. The interior contains many distinctive Arts and Crafts features, such as carved woodwork, stained glass and beaten metal ornamentation.
- Glyn is architecturally significant as one of the finest examples of Arts and Crafts movement architecture in Victoria, and for its associations with one of the movement’s best practitioners, Rodney Alsop (1881-1932).
- Alsop was influenced by English architects such as Voysey and Lutyens who in turn were working in the tradition established by Ruskin and Morris in the 1850s.
- Alsop was a founding member of the Arts and Crafts Society of Victoria and played a major role in the introduction of the style into Victoria in the early 1900s.
- The Arts and Crafts movement drew together amateur and professional artists, architects, educators and craftspeople. Architecturally, the movement emphasised picturesque massing, references to vernacular architecture and the exposure of building materials and textures.
- All these elements are evident in Glyn.
- The original fireplaces, light fittings, switch plates and joinery were rare examples of English arts and crafts influence in Australia, although some of these features have been lost in alterations in recent decades.
- The arts and crafts influence is further reflected in the different decorative treatment of each room.
- An interesting Australian touch is the eucalypt decorative scheme in the main hall, stair hall, entrance hall and upstairs gallery.
- The Arts and Crafts movement in Australia encouraged the use of Australian materials and motifs, reflecting burgeoning nationalism around the time of Federation and the movement’s belief in the necessity of a locally authentic form of decoration.
As a committed Arts and Crafts practitioner, Alsop not only designed houses, he engaged in their decoration, with built-in furniture, carved woodwork, stained glass of his own design, and beaten metal ornamentation often made with his own hands. Alsop envisaged his houses as all-encompassing designs and works of art, and Glyn is a fine instance of this philosophy.
– See more:
- Residence at Toorak, by Butler & Bradshaw, Architects 84 William St. Melbourne. Contract drawing dated 20 April 1914 Signed R H Butler, proprietor; John Richards, contractor;
- Walter Butler of the architectural firm, Butler & Bradshaw, prepared designs for a house to be built at the corner of Power Avenue and Power St, Toorak, for his nephew, R. Harry Butler.
- Style: A landmark of the Arts and Crafts style with combinations of the Prairie styleCraftsman style and of the English Arts and Crafts movement.
- Heritage listed by Stonnington City Council and listed on the Victorian Heritage Database
The sheer walls punctuated by fenestration and the use of shingling are especially distinctive features
Avalon is a large single hipped residence with exaggerated eaves supported on angle brackets and covering cantilevered window bays.
- The simplicity of the design and the powerful building form made this building one of the landmarks of the combination of the Prairie style and Craftsman styles with the English Arts and Crafts movement.
- The building has a slate roof, rough cast walls, timber shingling and projecting bays. The building was extended by the Butler practice in 1925 but the building remained in the Butler family until the late 1980s
- Major attributes include the simple yet powerful roof form, whose wide hip is extended out over exaggerated eaves, supported on eaves brackets over projecting bays.
- The sheer walls punctuated by fenestration and the use of shingling are especially distinctive features.
- The original design has been extended sympathetically extendedl by the same architectural firm.
Harry and Jane Butler and their family of three children, Lorraine, John and David, lived in the house in Power Avenue, which was numbered 14 Power Avenue.
- Avalon remained for a long period in of ownership of the Butler family until the 1980s. 
- Architect Walter Butler
- Victorian National Trust Registered; City of Stonnington Heritage Registered
- Style: Arts and Crafts
A complex of early flats which particularly exemplifies changing attitudes and a semi-servantless lifestyle as developed by the end of the Great War.
“Butler’s Old Masterpiece”
By JOHN WESTWOOD The Age 14 June 1985
DAME Nellie Melba is among the past residents of a remarkable development of ﬂats at Toorak, one of which has come onto the market, a rare event in itself.
41 Tintern Avenue was where Melbourne architect Walter E. Butler at the turn of the century built a ﬁne home for himself and his wife, who was Millicent Howard, ot the Howards who established a grazing property east of the city, named Studley Park.
- Butler named his Toorak house Studley, but its character changed to a remarkable degree about 1918 when he had the idea of adding some ﬂats to it. He built some on the tennis court, a few more on the main block near the house and also turned the house proper into a series of maisonettes.
This man however was no speculator. He was not in search of a fast buck, it seems; his aim was more in line with creating a garden setting where “respectable” people (vetted by Butler himself) could live in peace and tranquillity.
- The idea took otf. and Butler’s ﬂats were always in demand. He did not sell his ﬂats, preferring to rent them to the right folk, among them in later years being Dame Nellie Melba.
- Butler wrote to her in 1924 asking if she would care to become a tenant, and she wrote back from Coombe’ Cottage, Coldstrearn saying how delighted she was with his proposition.
- Soon alter that. she did agree to rent a flat and her letter of acceptance was produced for our perusal by the present owner of in. who sent us a copy of it and a later note from her to Mr Butler inviting him to dinner and the opera, but also asking him to tell his gardener not to mix red and magnolia ﬂowers in the grounds “quite so much”.
The gardens still are beautifully preserved and indeed the agents call the ﬂat “an enchanting garden apartment”. They must be right.
- The accommodation is generous.
- Two bedrooms, study. kitchen. plus large living room ﬂowing into a dining room which looks out onto a slate paved terrace and gardens.
- Studley Flats comprises the earlier house of the architect Walter Butler as converted by him into flats in 1918, together with a new detached block to Tintern Avenue of the same date, and extensions to the west and a detached flat, (The Cottage) apparently conceived at the time and executed soon afterwards, together with various ancillary spaces, stairs, cellars and the large courtyard garden with its terrace, fountain and decorative ceramic plaques.
- The flats have suffered some re-subdivision and remodelling, but are still characterised internally by late Arts and Crafts detailing such as ledged and braced doors, beaten brasswork and stained timber.
- The Tintern Avenue block especially is notable for forward-looking labour-saving gadgetry such as double-sided doors and hatches, rubbish bins located so as to be removable from an exterior hatchway, and a remarkable set of milk delivery boxes with adjustable pointers to indicate the numbers of bottles required.
- See also HO108 392-400 Toorak Road, Toorak.pdf
|external image Studley%2520Flats%2520the%2520Cottage.jpg|
- Architects Klingender & Alsop 1919
- Style: Interwar Arts and Crafts
- Architects: A & K Henderson, Alsop & Martin 1923: Owner, Misses A J, J R, H L Aitken
- Style: Interwar Georgian Revival
Still evocative of fabulous period character this substantial c1920s residence comprises some 12 principal rooms surrounded by remarkable grounds measuring 24 000 sq.ft. (120 x 200ft) approx. and including north-south tennis court. An elite location close to Yar Orrong Road.
- Beneath glorious original ceilings, five ground floor rooms include light-filled formal entertaining spaces, huge sun-room retreat and 30 seat film theatrette.
- Up to seven upstairs bedrooms, two opening to commanding northerly terrace. Extensive out-buildings. Car-parking for 10!
- Sale and photographs
- Title Deeds: millions spent in mansion bonanza
- Style: Arts and Crafts Bungalow
8 Robertson Street, Toorak
Industry sources think this luxury property likely fetched upwards of $13 million, based on comparable sales results.
- The 1812 square-metre four-bedroom Robertson Street property, which boasts a 1920s period home and prized Paul Bangay-designed gardens, was one of the first built in Toorak’s coveted Trawalla Estate and last sold for $3.1 million in December, 2001, according to land title data.
- Trawalla was a large 2 story brick residence set m 121 acies ot land having extensive frontages to Toorak Road Orrong road, Grange Road and Trawalla Avenue.
|8 Robertson Street, Toorak|
Evoking memories of halcyon days, this Arts and Crafts style 1920s four bedroom, two bathroom residence is rich with period glamour and nostalgia and presides over 1812sqm (approx.) culminating in a spectacular Paul Bangay designed country garden with a swimming pool.
- One of the first homes in the Trawalla Estate (land sold from Mon 14 Apr 1930) and residing in Melbourne’s finest address surrounded by the most expensive real estate in the state, this four bedroom, two bathroom residence presents a rare Toorak opportunity.
- The home has been renovated and extended to create a translucency between the interior and gardens which have been the scene for many garden parties and gatherings against a backdrop of seasonal colour, fragrance and birdsong.
The grounds are divided into outdoor rooms circulating around stunning artisan crafted rock walls and terraces handmade from reclaimed cathedral yorkstone flags from Ireland, a domed central fountain and pond, and superb Bizzaza glass tiled swimming pool designed to sit in the space like a natural lagoon.
- The renovation followed the same handmade philosophy of the Arts and Crafts movement and designer in the field William Morrisreplicating intricate detail from solid timber internal doors to hardwood panelling, solid timber vanities, double brick walls using the best clay bricks and handmade timber panelled fireplaces with Italian terracotta bricks and 19th century cathedral yorkstone flags.
- Carefully considered finishes from Calacutta marble to natural Italian limestone, hand sculptured bathroom basins, engineered French Oak flooring and handmade Argentinian door furniture further complement the home’s exquisite original period detailing.
- Sold for $8,020,444 in May 2017
- Property Report and Photographs
- Exquisitely combining 1920’s elegance and consummate contemporary comfort, this immaculately renovated and extended period residence has been thoroughly and sympathetically enhanced to create a memorable family environment with pool and pavilion.
- Introduced by remarkable landscaped gardens, its stylish interiors are highlighted by coffered ceilings and solid American Oak flooring, revealing magnificent formal rooms, both with open fireplaces; the lounge featuring a beautiful bay window and the dining opening through French doors to a return verandah.
An expansive informal living and dining domain is positioned at the rear and served by a striking stone kitchen boasting a La Canche double oven and large walk in pantry.
- A study and five beautiful bedrooms (or 4 plus second study/retreat) include a downstairs main with decadent dressing room and marble bathroom and a second main upstairs with ensuite/Walk in robes. Children zone upstairs.
- Two additional marble bathrooms, fitted laundry. A clever loft/retreat or studio space above the garage adds to the family flexibility.
Outdoors a cleverly conceived pavilion superbly enhances the garden and sumptuous swimming pool and spa – a stunning entertaining retreat with a Jetmaster open fireplace. Auto gates, double garage/workshop, extensive 2000 bottle underground cellar, tool shed and outdoor WC/shower.
- OTHER NAMES OF PLACE: McBeath house, Coles house. Registered by the RAIA Vic
- Mr Lindsay Fox has owned the Irving Road property since the late 1970s. Estate agents estimate it is worth about $13 million.
- $40 million – Lindsay Fox mansion – incredibly valuable – for it’s massive land alone.
- Architect Walter Butler
- Style: Interwar Arts and Crafts
Eulinya and garden 48-50 Irving Road, Toorak heritage assessment (as assessed from the street)
- This large house occupies an unusual large triangular-shaped, promontory site at the junction of irving and Albany Roads, with associated extensive garden and landscaping, also designed by Walter Butler.
Eulinya house and garden, 48-50 Irving Road, Toorak, is of Local (potential State) significance historically and architecturally:
- as a superb combination of house and garden design that epitomises the underlying theme of Arts & Crafts architecture where the design of the house is at one with its garden setting and thus is particularly evocative of the architectural firm, W&R Butler’s reputation for significant Arts & Crafts architecture and garden design.
- an externally well preserved representative of Toorak’s special significance over time as the chosen residential domain of some of the nation’s most influential ﬁgures and, in the case of this house, a new phase of Toorak’s development in the immediate post First War period that saw the breaking up of the large estates and the emergence of a new type of urban mansion set in smaller but more articulated grounds (Criterion A4).
- Architect Muriel Stott and landscaping by Edna Walling
- Style: English Country Arts and Crafts
It is claimed that Muriel Stott, whose family conducted a business college, modelled the house on Great Milton, a large residence in the Cotswolds. – – Read more at VHD
- Related: Cotswolds Houses, Country Houses of Sir Edwin Lutyens
|Cotswold Manor Houses|
|Lutyens: Goddards, Surrey (1898–1900)||Lutyens: Tigbourne Court Surrey (1899–1901)|
|Little Milton, 26 Albany Road, Toorak|
- Little Milton is was built in 1926 on two allotments subdivided from the former Whernside estate.
- The house was designed in the Old English/Arts and Crafts style by Muriel Stott (1889-1985) in association with the architectural firm Stephenson and Meldrum
- Built in the English arts and crafts style by architect Muriel Stott and landscaping by Edna Walling.
- Recently totally renovated including new: North-South tennis court, unique indoor/outdoor pool and recreation area and vast parking underneath. Two ponds and extensive entertaining areas. Land size 2,476m2 approx.
- Little Milton was the luxurious home of late businessman and Corona Group executive John Batkin.
The circa 1926, five-bedroom mansion (pictured) is at the north-east corner of Whernside Avenue, and Albany Road – which most advocates and agents agree is Toorak’s most expensive street.
- Recently, a new tennis court was developed atop a 12-car underground garage, Little Milton’s overall block size is 2476 square metres
- Little Milton is historically significant for its fifty year association with the Moran family of the famous grocery firm Moran and Cato.
- It is socially significant as an outstanding example of an inter war mansion which typified the breaking up of the large 19th century Toorak estates such as Whernside. It is also of social interest in that, unusually for the time, its architecture and landscape design were executed by women.
- Heritage Listing (VIC) – Former M.H. Baillieu Residence And Garden. Location: 729 Orrong Road TOORAK, STONNINGTON
- Architect Harold Desbrowe-Annear
- Style: Interwar Arts and Crafts
|Baillieu House, 729 Orrong Road Toorak|
- The home’s current owner, Good Guys founder Andrew Muir, made headlines in 2007 when he appointed an agent to knock on the door of the then owner, comedian turned radio commentator Steve Vizard, to make an offer despite it not being on the market.
FALLEN businessman Steve Vizard has set a Melbourne house price record by selling his Toorak mansion for about $18 million.
- Mr Vizard, who has owned the eastern suburbs property since 2003, has more than doubled his money by selling the Orrong Road mansion to an undisclosed Chinese buyer, who reportedly knocked on the door and made an offer the former television comedian couldn’t refuse.
- The sale price of the mansion, built by the blueblood Baillieu family more than 80 years ago, easily eclipses the former Melbourne house price record held by Toll Holdings chief Paul Little, who paid $16million for Toorak mansion Coonac in 2002.
Muir offered $17.75 million reportedly because he admired from afar.
“The former M.H. Baillieu residence and garden, 729 Orrong Road, Toorak, designed by noted architect H. Desbrowe Annear in 1925 and retained in family ownership for over four decades, is of State cultural significance:
- for the largely unaltered residence which retains unpainted tapestry brickwork and cement render, and the design of which is an accomplish mix of classically-derived elements used with a Baroque exuberance;
- for the layout, design and major planting of the garden; this aspect illustrates a prevailing enthusiasm for Italian and Mediterranean
influenced gardens and this is amongst the best surviving examples in Victoria of this style, especially given the complementary ensemble of house and garden and the general intactness of the design;
- for the design and workmanship of its architectural landscape elements, including retaining walls, garden walls, steps, balustrades, tennis court, the
- drive and pathways; the external masonry wall is of special importance for its design (which incorporates architectural elements of the residence and has oculi with wrought iron bars permitting vistas into and out of the garden);
- for its planting, especially the mature trees and cypress hedges, and the tradition of planting the perennial borders.
- for its aesthetic qualities, principally derived from the vistas within the garden, changes of level, mature planting and consistent use of masonry for architectural elements of the garden;
- for the survival of the plan by Harold Desbrowe Annear, a towering figure in the history of Australian architecture and design; his garden plans are extremely scarce and this plan communicates ideas not fully realised in the property;”
- Property Observer 25 AUGUST 2014: Cloyne, the noteworthy Toorak trophy home, sells for $3.8 million
- Property Observer 24 MAY 2016: 1920s Toorak trophy Cloyne sold again with a $4.8 million asking price
- Domain Dec 10, 2014: Chinese millionaires flip Playboy mansion Cloyne after short fling
- Cloyne is one of the few substantially intact homes designed in the 1920s by Harold Desbrowe Annear.
- Cloyne is “reminiscent of a Hollywood Hills mansion”.
Cloyne was designed by prominent early-twentieth century Victorian architect Harold Desbrowe Annear and built in 1926 for Melbourne identity Louis Nelken, who married into the influential Baillieu family.
- Mr Nelken hosted famously flamboyant charity fundraising parties for politicians, celebrities and socialites at the Toorak Road home through the 1930s, 40s and 50s.
- Cloyne’s owner in the 1960s was the late playboy businessman Don Busch, who commissioned much of the glamorous renovations.
- Agent Greg Herman of Sotheby’s International Realty said Cloyne is reminiscent of a Hollywood Hills mansion. “It is an iconic Toorak home that, being on a main road, many people have driven past for years and taken notice of,” he said.
- Style: Unique, ‘utilitarian‘, and an ‘eclectic‘ form of Interwar Arts and Crafts (an embarrassment to architectural purists of Arts and Crafts).
The striking five-bedroom home is on about 1020sq m, with plenty of room for the swimming pool and lush gardens.
- Ornate details are a feature inside, including decorative cornices and ceiling roses, parquetry floors and fluted columns.
- The expansive floorplan includes an array of living zones around the elegant curved staircase, a guest wing and timber-panelled study.
Cloyne was built at 611 Toorak Road, Toorak in 1926 for Louis Nelken, reputedly a former Royal family butler, who married into the establishment Baillieu family. He was a director of Australian Knitting Mills.
- Louis Nelken married Lesley Chrystal Madden, the daughter of chief justice Sir John Madden, in 1921 dressed “in girlish frocking of white satin with georgette over-scallops and a bodice strewn with pearls.”
- Brother Guy Madden did the giving away, and a handful of relatives saw the knot tied in the Madden dame’s Cliveden flat parlour. The party then motored to the Alexandra Club.
- There were ads in 1930s suggesting they were off to Upper Macedon with the furniture up for sale.
- They finally left Cloyne with a swell party in 1955 attended by members of the Victorian establishment families, Baillieu, Hordern, Myer, Manifold, Chirnside and also the Dekyvere’s from Sydney.
- The couple moved to Amesbury on Domain Road, South Yarra and he moved after her 1963 death to Marne Street, South Yarra.
Cloyne has a fascinating past after being built for Louis Nelken, reputedly a former Royal family butler, who married into the establishment Baillieu family.
- They finally left Cloyne with a swell party in 1955 attended by establishment families, Baillieu, Hordern, Myer, Manifold, Chirnside and even the Dekyvere’s from Sydney.
- The swinging 1960s then saw Coyne owned by the flamboyant playboy Don Busch. The tycoon, but inexperienced pilot, died in 1970 in a Mustang plane crash at Bendigo in country Victoria.
- It sold in 1971 for $145,000 to Toorak hotelier William Drever.
In the 1960s Coyne was owned by the then flamboyant playboy Don Busch, who commissioned an extensive refurbishment which was carried out over eight years. The tycoon, but inexperienced polite, died in early 1970 in a Mustang plane crash at Bendigo in country Victoria.
- It sold in 1971 for $145,000 to Toorak hotelier William Drever at an auction by Ernest Trebilcock. Drever, who was accompanied by his lawyer Rodney Davidson, sold in 1992 to the Dutton family for $1.11 million. They resold in 1999 for $1.47 million. It was
Long described as one of the most architecturally significant buildings in Melbourne, Sothebys agent Greg Herman it was “truly a Melbourne landmark”.
- Comprising grand entrance, formal sitting room, informal sitting/dining room and kitchen, they open north via French doors to the swimming pool and cabana.
- There is a paneled study, ballroom and private guest quarters.
- Other owners of the historic home were the luxury car dealer Jeff Dutton and his wife, Gay, who sold in 1999 for $1.47 million.
- The Australian Dictionary of Biography write that after World War I, Annear prepared several fine, simple designs which freely used the classical vocabulary.
“Notable among these are the graceful Church Street bridge, Richmond (1924), and Cloyne at 609 Toorak Road (1929), which has a jewel-like quality and is unified by the judicious repetition of a Venetian window motif.
- “Such excellent buildings as Cloyne have unjustly been presented as an embarrassment by some of Annear’s later admirers, but he believed those who argued for a utilitarian architecture were asking for a non-architecture: they ‘did not know definitely what architecture consists of’.
- “In fact he pursued throughout a tempered eclecticism,” it suggested.
Cloyne, the most glamourous of 1920s Toorak residences, has been sold again.
This time its been bought by emerging childcare centre entreprenuer, Darren Misquitta. He co-founded Oxanda Education whose program focuses on music, movement, creative play, social development and physical fitness. He lives at Cloyne along with Karina, his wife, and their two young children, who had been living at a classy Altona home.
- Misquitta was best known as Killara Resources Limited’s Indonesian based executive director.
- He studied extensively through Europe, working closely with major financial institutions on risk management policies and international finance. He has also spent time in China studying Chinese commercial law.
- It’s a home which can only be described as tempered eclecticism
- The five bedroom, five bathroom Harold Desbrowe-Annear-designed house, with prominent port corchere on its Toorak Road frontage, last sold at $3.8 million in 2014 to a Chinese businessman and before that in 2011 at $3.5 million. No price has emerged yet after the Sotheby’s International sale.
- All these notes come from the Property Observer articles mentioned above, thanks to Jonathan Chancellor.
- from domain.com
- NOT Heritage Registered
Guide: $8 million +, Expressions of interest – 5 bed 5 bath 4 car pool
Built by architect Robert Hamilton, Victoria’s foremost practitioner of the inter-war Old English/Tudor Revival style during the 1930s, this property sits at the end of a prestigious cul-de-sac and is surrounded by well-established manicured gardens.
- You’ll find dark timber floors through the reception hall, an impressive sitting room with a decorative open fireplace and a formal dining room and music room with original timber joinery.
- “It’s a very stately home,” says agent Marcus Chiminello. “There are not many of these homes left so there’s a scarcity value to the period style residences now, particularly in Toorak.”
- Sale and photos
“Robert B. Hamilton was the pre-eminent designer of flats, particularly in his trademark Old English style, in Toorak and South Yarra inthe 1930s.
- After studying and working overseas, including a position as assistant to the Government architect in Bombay, India he returned to Ausralia and formed a partnership with Rodney Alsop in 1921 before establishing his own practice in 1925.
- According to Cuffley (2007:114) while Hamilton possessed a deep affection for romantic styles in architecture he had a ‘practical and inventive talent and was capable of working in a range of styles and to any scale’.
Nonetheless Hamilton is remembered best for his Old English style flats and commercial buildings constructed in Toorak and South Yarra.
- Cuffley (2007:115-6) cites a 1934 article in Art in Australia:
To those who seek the particular type of English domestic architecture that suggests comfort and romance … Mr Robert Hamilton’s outlook should appeal. Every detail is a matter of consideration, carefully selected and hand-made whenever possible.”[[federation-house/Trophy Homes#cite_note-2| ]]
- Expressions of Interest closing 27 June 2017 at 5pm
Sale listing and photographs
- First time offered in 37 years, this versatile property situated in arguably Melbourne’s most prestigious court offers a rare and exciting opportunity to renovate, rebuild or sub-divide (STCA), all on a magnificent garden allotment of 1486 sqm (approx)
Set within picturesque garden surrounds, the 1930’s solid brick home offers a wonderful template for an exquisite renovation or refurbishment.
- Not to be confused with this modern match by Stephen Akehurst:
|22 Stonnington Place, Toorak: Now under contract. Photo: Image Factory|
- ^ http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4071743
- ^ http://img.ksou.cn/p.php?q=Toorak&sta=vic&id=1232937&address=1+Albany+Road%2C+Toorak
- ^ http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/files/assets/public/adl/heritage-overlays/ho438-14-grange-road-toorak.pdf