The Federation Heritage of beach-side Cottesloe, W.A.
Table of Contents
|86 Grant Street Cottesloe|
|17 Warton Street, Cottesloe, WA|
From JONATHAN CHANCELLOR | 4 JANUARY 2012 ProperyObserver.com.au:
Cottesloe was named by Governor Frederick Broome, in 1886, soon gathering the wealthy of Perth during the summer months as the beach is sheltered from the south-west winds in summer and protected by reefs and islands off the coast.
- Although the Perth-to-Fremantle railway opened in 1881, the beach remained relatively unsettled, with only six permanent residents living there in 1893.
- But by 1897, the population of the Cottesloe area was approaching 1,500 permanent residents.
Cottesloe is triangular in shape, to the West of the Stirling Highway to Fremantle
The Town of Cottesloe prides themselves on having some of the most beautiful surrounds in the Perth metropolitan area.
- “Think beach, think Norfolk Island pines, think Western Suburbs lifestyle – that’s Cottesloe.
- Just 15 minutes west of Perth, Western Australia, Cottesloe is internationally famous for its superb beach and terraced lawns overlooking the Indian Ocean. “
|The house at Cottesloe Le Fanu is being restored|
Heritage Architect Mr Ian Hocking is pushing for a unique conservation precinct to be created in the wealthy beach side suburb Cottesloe.
- It is a question often pondered by heritage architect Ian Hocking, who has worked on the restoration and reconstruction of numerous historic buildings in Perth.
- Icons like the Perth Town Hall, St George’s Cathedral and the Regal Theatre are all listed on his resume of projects.
- Now, motivated by his latest work, Mr Hocking is pushing for a unique conservation precinct to be created in the wealthy beach side suburb Cottesloe.
Hocking Heritage Studio (HHS) is an award winning multi-disciplinary practice
- His latest project is heritage listed house Le Fanu which sprawls over a huge block on the corner of Salvado Street and Marine Parade in Cottesloe.
- A semi-ruined Federation Queen Anne style home built in the 1890s, it was the residence of the influential General Manager of the Bank of Western Australia, Henry Diggins Holmes and his family.
The MCall Centre was a redevelopment of the “old Cable Station” in Cottesloe.
- The McCall Centre residential program could accommodate up to 10 children at any one time, for up to 12 weeks. Families often lived on the premises, which was seen to help parents develop skills to manage and relate to their child who was in the McCall program.
Kulahea is of great historical and architectural interest. The house is a commendable piece of architecture, designed
by an important architect and has associations with historical figures and other prominent citizens.
Last Advertised Price : January 2012 – $5,500,000
- This delightful two-storey house of “Old English” styling with “Arts and Crafts” overtones was was designed by George Temple Poole Director of Public Works, for the Hon Charies Frederick North.
- The walls are covered with roughcast render over brickwork. Much use is made of timber detailing. Small rectangular paned leadlight windows are a strong feature.
- The hipped and gabled roof has plain orange Marseilles tiles. The house is sensitively designed in a style reminscent of half-timbered Tudor houses in England with half-timbered oriel windows.
- It has two small gables east and west a large gable to the front [south] with smaller sub-gable projecting forward. These are halftimbered and infilled with plain masonry.
- There is a small airvent louvre in the upper portion. The chimney pots are covered in rough-cast render and capped with terracotta pots. The original fence and lych gate has been replaced with cyclone wire. The grounds were somewhat neglected.
A stunning beach side home that reflects the prosperity of the Australian Gold Rush of the 1890’s. This majestic home is a timeless statement of achievement with solid limestone walls, wide, shady return verandahs and remarkable 3 storey tower with windows all round to provide uninterrupted coastal views.
- Over the past 100 years the previous owners who have been lucky enough to enjoy this remarkable home have lovingly maintained her and sympathetically renovated and extended to provide warm family living.
- The verandahs, private landscaped gardens and pool provide a sheltered retreat from the prevailing winds and the perfect place to entertain or relax.
Belvedere is one of three limestone homes in a rare grouping that includes Tukurua, built in 1896, and the 116-year-old Le Fanu.
- The three represent the style of gracious old residential building that has become synonymous with Cottesloe.
|Buyers line up for $5.5m historic Cottesloe house|
Belvedere, a limestone 1897 Cottesloe residence, has been listed with $5.5 million-plus hopes.
- The heritage-listed house with turret views to Rottnest Island is one of three limestone homes in a rare grouping that includes Tukurua and Le Fanu.
- They are examples of grand beachside homes exhibiting the affluence that accompanied the gold boom of the 1890s.
- Belvedere was constructed by a wealthy mining investor, J. J. Campbell, who managed a tin mine in Queensland and built Belvedere for his father, mother and siblings.
- It was used as a family residence until the 1930s, when it was let out as a boarding house.
- In 1974 the house was put on the market as a development site but purchased by Loretta and Tom Pell, who restored the house for family use.
- Belvedere was set for demolition in 1974 but the Rosendo Street house, which sits on a 1,300-square-metre block, was saved and restored to its former Federation Queen Anne-style glory.
- Its three-storey, 11-metre-tall tower was reputedly built so that retired sea captain Thomas Campbell could watch shipping movements with a telescope.
- The property which originally stretched to the beach reserve is now 50 metres from the beach.
- It has five bedrooms, two bathrooms, wrap-around verandas and pool. It last traded in 2005 at $3.85 million.
Another Cottesloe Federation Queen Anne-style property, Trafalgar House, constructed in 1915 for William Liddell, the manager of Hoskins Foundry and Kalgoorlie Foundry, is listed through Chris Shellabear at Shellabears.
- Imposing bungalow with historical and architectural significance in a proposed heritage precinct.
- Sprawling 1698SQM ESTATE
- Trafalgar House’ constructed in 1915 for William Oswald Liddell, the manager of Hoskins Foundry and Kalgoorlie Foundry, is a magnificent ‘Federation Queen Anne’ landmark surrounded by 1698sqm of glorious gardens.
- One of the most stately and recognisable homes in the suburb elevated from the street, the verandahs wrap around the front and sides. Upon entry original details adorn the home with voluminous bedrooms and formal living areas, polished jarrah floorboards, leadlighting, decorative cornicing and ceilings and open fireplaces.
- Accommodation: 4 Bedrooms 3 Bathrooms, Formal Lounge & Dining, Entry Hall, Family Room, Undercroft Storage, Eat In Country Kitchen, Outdoor Entertaining, Guest Quarters.
- The grounds are well structured with statuesque trees, below ground pool and guest quarters which are fully renovated with bedroom, bathroom and storage. The scene is set for fabulous family living in the heart of this magnificent suburb.
- Trafalgar House was the first residence built in one of the quietest avenues in Cottesloe, perfectly situated a short walk from Napoleon Street Village and transport on one side, and the beach on the other.
Le Fanu House (formerly Banksia), Salvado St, Cottesloe, in 1972. The Trust Classified this place in 1979.
The original five roomed seaside holiday cottage residence was constructed in 1893 for Henry Diggins Holmes, his wife Marion and their three children. The Holmes family were significant to the establishment and development of Cottesloe and were major contributors to charitable institutions, most notably the Ministering Children’s League.
- “Banksia” was built as a family home by Henry Diggins Holmes, Chief Manager of the WA Bank from 1890, and his wife Marion, who was the founder of the Ministering Childrens League in WA.
- In 1898 and 1900, substantial additions and alterations designed by architect Percy William Harrison were undertaken and in 1945, the property was transferred to the Perth Diocesan Trustees and renamed ‘Le Fanu’ after Henry Frewen Le Fanu, Bishop of Perth between 1929 and 1946.
In 1945, Le Fanu was bought by the Anglican Church, which continued the charity work of the Holmes, and the house was used as a meeting place for religious organisations and groups.
- It was used by the Church as a conference centre, under the name of Le Fanu House, after the Anglican Archbishop of Australia who was a West Australian.
- It is a rambling split-level “Queen Anne” style house with walls of coursed rubble-limestone and brick quoining. The southern facade has added interest with a “candle snuffer” roofed hexagonal bay.
|Le Fanu House once again proudly looks over Cottesloe Beach.|
For years, Le Fanu cried out for help until restoration work began in 2010.
- In 1973, it was sold as a residence to a Mrs J. Fenwick (now Mrs Drake-Brockman) who took it on with the aim of restoring it as a beachside retirement home. However, it was a huge job and as she was also coping with a farm at Esperance, the house slipped into disrepair and eventually into ruin.
- Its sale became controversial when it went on the market in 2009. The 1492-square-metre block with 36 metres of ocean frontage was valued about $15 million. Yet, the house was put up for sale for the reduced price of $6.5 million, as it required millions of dollars of restoration work.
- It later sold for about $4.5 million – yet required more than $10 million to restore.
- Since 1990s, several major adaptations and additions have occurred, followed by years of vacancy, leaving ‘Le Fanu’ in a poor derelict state.
- The current project, instigated by new owners of the property, aims to restore the original grand rooms of the house. A two-storey addition confined to the north-eastern end of the site is set behind the existing ridge lines, respectful of the character, scale and proportions of ‘Le Fanu’.
Cottesloe mansion Le Fanu restored to magnificence
A prime example of a grand beachside home, it reflects the affluence created by the gold boom of the 1890s, with features including thick limestone walls, a turret, gables, ornate chimneys, a ballroom and a wood-panelled study.
- The 17 rooms included five bedrooms, a light-filled ballroom, allegedly used as a chapel, a drawing room, a formal dining or reception room, a formal lounge, a second lounge room, a sitting room, a family room, a kitchen with walk-in pantry, an enclosed veranda, a study and a cellar, with ceiling hooks where meat was once hung.
- It sat on seaside real estate worth millions of dollars in one of Western Australia’s premier suburbs and laid claim to some of the most beautiful ocean views in Perth.
- Yet, the 120-year-old landmark home Le Fanu had fallen into ruin so badly that, for a while, it seemed no-one was game enough to take it on.
But, with foresight and years of hard work by a renowned architect, committed owners, the State Heritage Council, the Town of Cottesloe and an extremely dedicated builder, the extensive restoration of one of Perth’s most famous heritage-listed houses is finally complete.
The once proud testimony to Queen Anne-style architecture had been reduced to nothing more than an outlet for angst and vandalism.
- The owners purchased the house in 2009 – bravely taking it on as their very first renovation project – and Zorzi Builders was chosen as the building contractor.
- Zorzi Builders business development manager David Reynolds praised the owners for their commitment to the mammoth project and their willingness to bring the house back to its former glory, no matter the cost. “Without them, the house would have likely died a horrible death.” Mr Reynolds said Zorzi was honoured to have been trusted with the restoration.
“No residential project in WA has involved this level of conservation works, nor this level of urgency,” he said in 2010.
- The work required that the extensive stonework be restored, with the salt-affected limestone walls taken apart slowly and each stone bagged and numbered to be restored and reused for the new walls. Wherever possible, original features were saved, including the ornate fireplaces and the tiny Federation mosaic floor tiles that were painstakingly removed and restored.
- The grand ceilings were repaired, new windows hand-forged in steel, an upper storey added and an impressive 10-car garage, with marble floors and solid jarrah cabinetry, carved into the stone beneath the house.
- Zorzi Builders worked with MMA Interiors on the interior design, which included features including new leadlight windows, marble floors, chandeliers and a fully restored wine cellar. The work won Zorzi Builders the Overall Best Alteration and Addition title in the Master Builders Bankwest Housing Excellence Awards 2015.
Completion Date: 2015
Originally known as “Banksia”. The place which overlooks the Indian Ocean is of considerable architectural interest and has associations with prominent people who were notable for their charity..
- The National Trust of Australia (WA).
- Le Fanu REGISTER OF HERITAGE PLACES
- Le Fanu House, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Cottesloe mansion Le Fanu restored to magnificence
Tukurua, Miss Cass’s residence, 7 Rosendo Street, Cottesloe
Wealthy spinster left $50 million waterfront mansion to her GARDENER… now he’s looking to sell and downsize
Ted Smith thinks it was fate that first brought him to Tukurua.
‘I’ve been here for 43 years so I think it’s time to down size,’ Mr Smith told Daily Mail Australia.
HOUSE FOR SALE: 9 Rosendo Street, COTTESLOE, WA, 6011
Offers above $25million
A captivating piece of West Australian history is set to sell for the first time in over 118 years. Undoubtedly one of Cottesloes most iconic homes, Tukurua is now ready for some new adoring owners.
- Tukurua is on the corner of Rosendo Street and Marine Parade (previously Swanbourne Terrace).
- Built by The Hon. Septimus Burt in 1896 it was originally known as the “Beach House” and was used by the Burt family as a summer residence. Miss Dorothea Maud Cass inherited the property in 1945 and lived there until her death in 1994.
- Tukurua was home to the chief justice Septimus Burt while Belvedere was occupied by Thomas Campbell, father of the mining investor J.J. Campbell.
Designed originally by R.T. Mc Masters as a single storey building and built by Bunning Bros in 1896 it
was altered soon after in 1897 by J. Talbot Hobbs. In 1901 Hobbs designed a second storey for the
- The house as it stands today is comprised of two joined buildings. The main residence is built of limestone over a large basement housed in the cavity created by the sloping block. The smaller southern wing is set back from the west facade by approximately six metres. Although the building has few distinctive stylistic details it size is impressive. The brick quoins to the openings contrast with the coursed rubble-limestone walls.
- The two structures are unified visually by the double storey timber verandah. On the western facade, the verandah has a gable to the north-east corner which forms an interesting and lively extension and provides decorative asymmetry to the northern facade. Across the northern facade the verandah extends as a single storey and projects Into a shallow porch over the main entrance.
- On the eastern facade it runs along a single story to south wing. The windows of the upper storey have individual awnings with scalloped timber decoration. The verandah details are simple. Turned timber balusters and decorative brackets are combined with square section uprights. There are the remains of decorative wooden panels with pierced quatrefoils. The ballustrading has been filled in with asbestos sheeting at some stage and areas enclosed to make more rooms. This was probably during the Second World War when large houses were required to provide for refugees etc.
- The house has a hipped and gabled roof covered with corrugated iron. The west facing gables have been filled with pressed metal and asbestos sheeting. The north facing gable has a decorative gable screen.
- The southern wing is clad in pressed metal to the upper storey and has a skillion extension containing toilets and laundry. A weatherboard extension houses a bathroom. The main entrance is reached by steps elegant piers on either side. The entrance door is panelled an has stained glass inserts. For interior details see Heritage Council data base.
The Heritage Council of Western Australia lists these three limestone residences as good examples of the suburb’s first homes which are now scarce.
- CLAIRE BICKERS, PERTHNOW, JULY 29, 2014
|Cottesloe heritage property Tukurua has gone on sale for the first time in more than 100|
The beach-front property is located on the corner of Marine Parade and Rosendo Street.
IT’S the empty Cottesloe block that has had developers drooling for decades.
- Sitting opposite the beach in Perth’s most sought-after coastal suburb, the 2000sqm parcel of vacant land went on sale along with one of Perth’s most “exceptional” heritage properties for the first time in more than 100 years this week.
- The whole property, known as Tukurua, is located on a 5000sqm parcel which is estimated to be worth about $50m — a price point that would smash records for the area.
- If sold, it would become Perth’s second most expensive home purchase, after Angela Bennett’s Mosman Park estate sold in 2009 for $57.5m.
|The beach-front property is located on the corner of Marine Parade and Rosendo Street, Co|
The grand heritage home sits elevated on the back half of the property with an empty lot in front.
From the home’s wraparound balconies, it offers spectacular ocean views.
For people driving by on Marine Parade, it’s a glimpse into what life was like for WA’s wealthy elite more than a century ago.
|The 2000sqm parcel of vacant land adjacent will be highly sought after by developers.|
Built in 1896, the home was the summer residence of WA’s first attorney general, Septimus Burt.
- The house is listed on the State Heritage Register with an indefinite interim extension, which offers it all the protection of the Act.
- But the vacant block in front could potentially be developed into some of the most sought-after property in Perth.
|Inside Tukurua — a bedrioom with uninterrupted views of Cottesloe Beach.|
- Architecture Institute of Australia WA president Philip Griffiths, a heritage specialist, said the ideal development would be to turn the block back into a garden.
- “But that’s not going to happen,” Mr Griffiths said.
- “The important thing is for the prime views to be retained. A combination of one and two storeys would be acceptable.”
- Mr Griffiths said a developer would need to consult the heritage council in addition to the local council for any development on the site.
- He said the home was an “exceptional” example of WA’s heritage.
- “It’s pretty important,” he said. “It’s a landmark, everyone knows about it.
Complete family character home on top of the hill with an elevated outlook on 744m2 of land with laneway access.
- A beautiful family residence with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 3 stunning living rooms, open fireplaces, high ceilings and wide polished jarrah floors.
- An extension gives new bathroom, kitchen, laundry and family room opening to enchanting gardens.
- Lots of possibilities but ready to enjoy now, with access to the Jasper Green Park and the Swanbourne Village you are in the middle of the private school belt and North Cottesloe Primary School area.
- There is nothing like living on “Claremont Hill”.
Sold for $3,675,000, Sold Date: Mon 24-Jun-13; House Bedrooms: 4 Bathrooms: 2 Car Spaces: 4
“A collaboration of refined and sumptuous style with relaxed, comfortable and flowing practicality of Australian Heritage, has produced one of the finest, family residences in the precinct”.
“Nestled in the heart of Perth’s premier beachside precinct on one of its most favoured avenues leading down to the shores of the Indian Ocean, this much loved family home offers buyers a multitude of options.
- Set on an expansive 881sqm corner block within easy reach of transport, Perth’s premier private schools and colleges, the beach, the river and some of this city’s favourite cafe and retail strips, this is a sought after location in a tightly held residential precinct.
- The original family home with its soaring ceilings and generous proportions dates back to 1914 and bears all of the hallmarks of the Federation Era.
- Elegant and spacious with a real sense of history, this is a warm and welcoming family home that could easily be transformed into in elegant stately residence celebrating the beauty of its heritage with a nod to the demands of modern family life.
- With its timber verandahs and tuck-pointed facade, it is one of a dwindling number of original residences that still dominate the Cottesloe landscape.
- Beyond a three-paneled original leadlight door, the home opens into a wide central hallway with original high ceilings and turn of the century ceiling roses and flourishes.
With the charm of a century old home and the space and comforts of a contemporary family house on a large 545sqm corner block, this grand Cottesloe property offers the best of both worlds.
- Jarrah floorboards, stunning leadlight windows and intricate ceiling roses and cornices are found throughout the ground floor, with the owners ensuring any additions to the home complemented the character of the period.
|86 Grant Street, Cottesloe|
8 Gibney Street, Cottesloe
Years of Operation 1903 – ongoing
Over the years, Lady Lawley Cottage has provided respite and convalescent care for sick and recovering children, and care for children with disabilities.
- Lady Lawley Cottage no longer provides permanent residential placements, though extended stays can be negotiated in a crisis situation, depending on the length of stay and available space.
- Respite and convalescent care provided for children from 1903.
- Cited in the Annual Reports of the Child Welfare Department in 1934 and 1935 as a licensed institution for private foster children under six years of age. 2 children noted as admissions.
- The facility was evacuated during the war years 1941-45.
- ^ http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-21/cottesloe-heritage-feature/3677794
- ^ http://www.oldlistings.com.au/real-estate/WA/Cottesloe/6011/buy/1/FORREST
- ^ http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Public/Inventory/Details/507f4982-7fa3-42f0-8fae-e00c3f7aabde
- ^ http://www.shellabears.com.au/property.aspx?pid=264443
- ^ http://www.domain.com.au/news/cottosloe-mansion-le-fanu-restored-to-magnificence-20151014-gk3wj8/
- ^ http://www.hockingheritagestudio.com.au/projects/le_fanu.phtml
- ^ http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Public/Inventory/Details/9d829e82-6673-4581-8ec7-fb4d6bb3b6ec