Camelot, Kirkham Lane, Kirkham
- See also Camelot, Camden
- Camelot is listed on the Register of the National Estate“and stands on the site of explorer John Oxley’s Kirkham Mill. The original grant was made in 1810 and extended in 1815.
- “Camelot” is constructed from brick and has a romantic silhouette of turrets, chimney stacks, gables, arched verandas and projecting bays.
- “Camelot” was reportedly built with the winnings from “Chester”, a racehorse which won the Melbourne Cup in 1877, owned by James White.
- The house was owned later on by the Faithfull-Anderson family. Camelot also has a fine brick stable with arched wooden ribbing, a brick smokehouse and an octagonal aviary. – http://www.camden.nsw.gov.au/page/historic_properties.html
|Pibrac, Pibrac Avenue Warrawee|
- Pibrac is on the Register of the National Estate (Pibrac and Garden, 11 Pibrac Av, Warrawee, NSW)
- In 1888, the public servant and patron of exploration Frederick Ecclestone du Faurbuilt his house Pibrac in Pibrac Avenue.
- The house was designed by John Horbury Hunt, the Canadian architect who settled in Australia and favoured the Arts and Crafts style, as well as the North American Shingle style, which he introduced to Australia.
- Later alterations were carried out by B.J.Waterhouse. The house is composed predominantly of timber, with extensive use of timber shingles, on a sandstone base.
- Pibrac is considered a good example of Hunt’s work and is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
Fairwater, 560 New South Head Rd, Point Piper NSW, is a large domestic residence designed by John Horbury Hunt, constructed in 1882 with additions made in c.1901 and 1910, with former stable (c.1900s) and garage (1930),
- situated on a large suburban allotment fronting Port Jackson with mature garden landscaping including notable trees. Fairwater is listed on the Register of the National Estate
|Fairwater, Point Piper, Sydney|
- “Powerful yet restrained composition in brick and timber, large complex, manages to successfully modulate its scale so that it appears disarmingly domestic. Buildings and grounds are amongst the last of the great suburban estates remaining intact. Grounds provide an important scenic addition to the shoreline of Seven Shillings Beach. Estate is historically important, having been connected with the Whites of Cranbrook and the Fairfax family, who still retain ownership.”
- The residence is a double storey structure of brick construction with a timber-framed roof. The exterior appearance is characterised by the use of a brick, which is pale yellow in colour. The roof is covered in slate tiles. Additions made c.1910/11 often include the use of sandstone (i.e. in the verandah and carriage porch) which is very reddish in colour.
- The property is of rare historic, aesthetic, social and scientific significance in consideration of its continuing association with the Fairfax family, and as a large late-nineteenth century residence (with Edwardian era additions), of high integrity, designed by John Horbury Hunt. (Clive Lucas, Stapleton & Partners Pty Ltd, 1999, amended Read, S., 6/2006)
Baroona (Range Rd, Whittingham via Singleton, NSW) is a striking High Victorian residence at Whittingham, and is a 26-room house with observation tower. It is an indicative place on the Register of the National Estate.
- Its stables, designed in the 1880s by architect John Horbury Hunt, stabled two-time Melbourne Cup winner Peter Pan.
- The marketing suggested the Victorian gothic stable block (pictured below) was the birthplace and final resting place of Peter Pan, who was born in 1929 and died in 1941.
- Baroona was known as Rosemount when the initial house was built by pastoralist John Lanarch in 1829.
|Tudor House School photo by Deane, Robert, 1937-|
Tudor house School is a private, day and boarding, preparatory school for boys, located in Moss Vale, New South Wales, Australia.
- The school is Australia’s only preparatory boarding school, marketing itself as “a school that understands boys and where the joy of boyhood experiences is celebrated”.
- Established in 1897, Tudor House moved from Sydney to its present rural site in Moss Vale in 1902. The founder, Mr Inman, wanted a school that educated the whole boy.
- The current Enrichment Centre was originally the library. It was presented to the school by Henry and Herbert Horden.
|Trevenna, UNE, Designed by Canadian-born, Boston-trained architect, John Horbury Hunt|
- Trevenna house was built in 1892 and is located off Trevenna Road on the western side of the main campus in Armidale
- Trevenna is listed on the Register of the National Estate
- Trevenna was originally the home of the Wrights, a prominent New England family of graziers. It was originally built for Mrs Eliza Jane Wright.
- The homestead and its grounds were bequeathed to UNE as the Vice-Chancellor’s residence in 1960 by Mrs Florence May Wilson –http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevenna
The Highlands is one of the last houses John Horbury Hunt ever built.
- John Horbury Hunt was instrumental in bringing the North American Shingle Style to Australia. The outstanding example of this style was Highlands, a two-storey home designed by Hunt and built for Alfred Hordern in 1891.
The Highlands Wahroonga
- Situated in Highlands Avenue, Wahroonga, Sydney, Highlands is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
- Highlands is regarded as one of the finest examples (and, by some, as THE finest example) of his original shingled style. He was certainly at the height of his powers when he designed it.
- 9 Highlands Avenue, Wahroonga: $3 million+
- Built 1891-1893; Renovated 1980s and 2003 Land 3585 sq m
- Unlike many of his contemporaries, Hunt had extensive experience in the building crafts and personally oversaw all aspects of construction. His meticulous approach to workmanship is apparent in every structural detail of the house.
Glen Alpine. Werris Creek
Glen Alpine is large home, with productive country farmland, 4 hours from Sydney, 55km from Tamworth.
|Glen Alpine, Homestead designed by the renowned architect John Horbury Hunt|
- Homestead designed by the renowned architect John Horbury Hunt; the stunning 6 bedroom home was built in 1886. The home is in two sections, built together.
- The main, two story part with entertainment areas such as drawing, dining, sitting rooms, large breakfast room currently the kitchen, large hallway.
- Upstairs are four double bedrooms and a smaller chamber, bathroom and sunroom. The sixth bedroom (the second chamber) is downstairs.
- The top verandahs are accessed via two doorways from the upstairs hall. The 4 metre ceilings make the house airy and cool in the summer.
- All fireplaces are in working oder. Some are of marble construction.
- Adjoining this section is the original kitchen, billiard room storage rooms and another bathroom. This wing has not yet been renovated, but is in good order.
- A tennis court is located to the side of the home.
Lucy Macken October 17, 2014
|The historic 1886-era homestead Glen Alpine near Tamworth has burnt down in suspicious circumstances. Photo: Toby Johnstone|
The historic 1886 homestead Glen Alpine near Tamworth has burnt down, two days before its sale for $4.5 million was due to settle.
All that remains of the heritage-listed homestead that was designed by architect John Horbury Hunt are five chimney pots and the original cellar.
- “We are absolutely devastated by this,” said Cremorne-based buyer, landscaper-builder Antony Tisch, who with his wife Wendy exchanged on the 1335 hectare property in June and was expected to take possession of it late last week.
- “Restoring this old house to its former glory was part of our retirement plan. Now it’s just a nice block of land.”
- Rural crime investigator Detective Senior Constable Scott Kellahan said police at Werris Creek noticed the blaze just after midnight on Wednesday October 8. It took fire crews several hours to bring the fire under control and no-one was in the property at the time.
- Camelot, Narellan (1888)
- Highlands, Wahroonga, Sydney (1891)
- All Saints Church, Hunters Hill, Sydney (1885)
- Pibrac, Warrawee, Sydney (1888)
- Public School, Rozelle, Sydney (1877)
- Catherine Hayes Building (completed by Thomas Rowe), Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney (1867)
- Superintendent’s Cottage, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney (1863)
- Sir John Robertson Memorial, South Head Cemetery, Sydney
- Additions to Cranbrook School, Bellevue Hill, Sydney (1874–75)
- Cloncorrick, Darling Point, Sydney (1884)
- Fairwater, Point Piper, Sydney (1881)
- Sacred Heart Convent, Vaucluse, Sydney (1888)
- Church of the Good Shepherd and Rectory, Kangaroo Valley (church 1870, rectory 1879)
- Osborne Memorial Church of St Luke, Dapto (1882)
- St Matthias Church, Denman (1871)
- St Paul’s Church of England, Murrurundi (1872)
- Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle (1869)
- Belltrees, Scone (shearing shed) (1907)
- Church of St James, Jerrys Plains (1875)
- Christ Church Cathedral, Grafton (1881)
- Christ Church Cathedral Church Hall, Grafton (1890)
- Public School and Headmaster’s Residence, Frederickton (1880)
- Booloominbah, University of New England, Armidale (1883)
- Saint Bartholomew’s Church of England, Ollera Station, Guyra (1876)
- Extensions to Havilah Property, Mudgee Area (1890)
Other buildings by Hunt: